Infantry shooting at tanks, Why??

perhaps this has been answered before, but I'm fairly new here...

I was playing a mission, I was the allies and the germans had a King Tiger deployed on the field. I had one squad of Riflemen in the 2nd floor of a building who had a line of sight on the Tiger. I would figure that they would do the smart thing and not fire at it at all but lo and behold they did, and even when I told them to hide and cancel target, they began shooting at it again. The tank, at that moment, was opened up and perhaps they were firing at the exposed crewman, but they were a good 600m away and weren't hitting much. On the flipside, the tank spotted my troops and fired in a few HE rounds, killed 5 of the 12 troops.

Can anyone explain to me why on earth would these infantrymen start shooting at such a dangerous tank? How do I get my troops to wait until the enemy is closer before engaging or do I have to micromanage my squads/

Originally posted by malfuriouspete:

Can anyone explain to me why on earth would these infantrymen start shooting at such a dangerous tank?

You've answered your own question:

The tank, at that moment, was opened up and perhaps they were firing at the exposed crewman

How do I get my troops to wait until the enemy is closer before engaging or do I have to micromanage my squads

The best way is to have them hide all the while in command range of an HQ unit with good stealth bonus. Even so, that is no guarantee. Tank commanders are high value targets, and may prove too irresitable in some cases.

Malfuriouspete,

You are right, there is no excuse why this should happen in CMBO ( CMBO is outdated ). Just purchase CMAK, and be done with it. This will also give you the Med theater ( Italy & N.Africa ), and with alittle research at this Battlefront Forum you can also download the CMETO mod to give you the feeling of being in N.W Europe.

Hope this helps, and if you have anymore questions I will be happy to help.

Joe

[ February 23, 2008, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: JoMc67 ]