Entire Battle Movie or Playback

Hello Everyone:

I just found out about CM several days ago when I read an article about it in PCGamer. WOW!!! All I can say is that this is as close to real combat as you can currently get in a computer game. As a former USMC infantry captain I get bent out of shape at how completely devoid of any reality so many "combat simulations" or RTS games are.

It is certainly important to mold your unit into a highly trained combat team (something increasingly difficult given the current internal and external political pressures in the military). However, there is a fair amount of luck involved, i.e. being in the right place at the right time that can only be modeled with full fog of war and simultaneous enemy and friendly execution of orders. Once again, Kudos to the design team for creating a superior "locked on" piece of work.

With that said let me get to my trivial and non-technical comment. Would it be possible to save movies of an entire battle or to at least be able to replay them after the battle is over? It's sad to completely and utterly destroy your opponent and not be able to preserve a record for posterity. Depending on the coding perhaps this would be possible (or maybe not) in a subsiquent patch.

Now to end with a historical tidbit I gleaned from the excellent "The Last Battle" by Cornelius Ryan. The Panther and Tiger I & II tanks are well known to have problems with mechanical breakdowns. Although some of this may be attributed to a hasty engineering effort towards effecting quick production, a fair amount of the machinery that went into these tanks was produced by slave labor and in concentration camps! It's a wonder that the tanks ever worked at all. This sabotage of German war time production by the victims of Nazi genocide seems somehow fitting. Happy wargaming everyone!

------------------

Devil Dog

Hey Devil Dog, welcome aboard! To answer your question, this feature is not available yet, but has been requested by many. With any luck it might make it into an eventual patch (hopefully before CM2!). I know there's some more discussion about this, so run a search and you should get plenty of stuff to read over (assuming the search function is working right... heh). again, welcome to the board!

Welcome aboard DevilDog smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Would it be possible to save movies of an entire battle or to at least be able to replay them after the battle is over? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This question has been asked a thousand of times biggrin.gif Many of us would like this feature implemented, but it is unsure it makes in until CM2.

Try a search with the search function, there are plenty of treads about this subject.

Magnus

------------------

Venez visiter le seul site consacré à Combat Mission en français : Appui-feu http://appui-feu.panzershark.com

Yes, that's a great idea. Have you ever played ROGUE SPEAR? The replay files for that are great trophies/learning tools.

Here's the only thing I can think of: Tonight I won a major victory in the Bruyeres scenario and saved every turn, labelling them Bruyeres T1 to T15. If you save just after you have completed your planning stage in each case you should see the battle play out the way you fought it... But maybe not; in a tank vs tank confrontation which I won when I first fought it, I lost in the replay! Just another tribute to the dynamiic nature of CM's AI...

Guest Shatter50

Devil Dog is assimilated

along with you Wesreidau

Shatter here

Hey CM Borg try to assimilate me I have Federation Nanite Technology Ha Ha just try it.

Anyway is this replay film in the works for up and coming CM2 or even a patch for CM that would be great to watch a battle play out from beginning to end

I'm sure there are good third-party programs out there that will capture anything happening on your computer monitor as a self-contained movie file (BTS used something to make the one-off movies they posted here last summer)

Then, using video editing software (again, there's probably free/shareware out there) you can tack them all together to make one whole movie.

The only caveat here is that, while you're playing the game movies and recording them with the recorder, you have to make sure that the camera always starts the movie for one minute in the same place as it ended the previous movie. Otherwise, in your whole movie, every 60 seconds the camera viewpoint would jump around, and viewers would get all sick or something from it.

DjB