why surrender??

What does everyone think of surrendering troops? I never got in the situation before until last night when I was defending a small forest on the edge of the map. I had no more tanks and I was getting destroyed by artillery and tank shells. Every time I sent a panzershreck forward they were immediately killed. So I sent a small suicide force out to hold off the tanks so I could concentrate on their infantry. Thankfully, the enemy infantry assault was successfully repelled (and I mean successfully....bodies everywhere) but then the tanks came back and ate me up. I knew it was suicide to stand in the first place, but I couldn't stand the thought of giving up. I just don't see the point of surrendering when I can fight and possibly get a few more kills. I figure when my troops feel it's time to give up they will route anyway. What does everyone else think?

Guest Germanboy

Are you talking about PBEMs? In those I surrender when I am sure that I no longer have the means to take the objective when on the attack. No point wasting my opponents and my own time on another suicide charge. On the defense I am a bit more tenacious and usually try to make them pay for taking the place. So in that case it may take a bit longer. And you never know, in the sure grasp of the victory ahead, your opponent might just lose another tank, or even overlook some remnants of your troops, thereby granting you more points. Against the AI I simply don't lose, solving the problem.

------------------

Andreas

When there is no chance of me preventing my opponent from gaining a Total Victory, I'm more than happy to surrender.

When it's clear that neither side is capable of any meaningful offensive action and the front will barely move from wherever it is, I'll submit a ceasefire request.

There's no point dragging out a game when either you or your opponent could be playing another...

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

I surrendered my PBEM game against NTM because in a fit of incompetence I'd managed to lose all my tanks in one turn, he had my infantry pinned down and split up across a river, and one of my flanks was wide open. I could have probably held out but looking through the commander's eyes I could see that there was no further point to resistance.

If I'd been playing as the Americans I probably would have fought to the last man but as it stood I got tired of the monotonous slaughter.

Dan

When I'm in a position where I should just surrender, I prefer

to instead charge the enemy with all my remaining forces.

It just might work, but even if it doesn't we still get a nice

massacre out of it. Then I surrender.

------------------

Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of

our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

It seems like every time I play as the Free French all my forces surrender as soon as the battle starts without any input from me. tongue.gif (joke!)

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ski:

It seems like every time I play as the Free French all my forces surrender as soon as the battle starts without any input from me. tongue.gif (joke!)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Maybe the game gets confused and thinks its 1940 when you play as the French (another joke)