Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Community Designed Scenario Tournament

Combat Mission: Community Designed Scenario Tourament.

The Tournament will begin October 2, 2024 and you can join now.

This Tournament will feature 3 rounds with 3 different scenarios.

This tournament features 3 brand new scenarios designed by players on our Discord channel!

Cold War Community Made Scenario Tournament

This Tournament will feature 3 rounds with 3 different scenarios.

Round 1 Lattichdorf - US and Soviet forces clash over village

Round 2 Moppin Up Rotchstadt - A Soviet Category C formation mops up isolated US straggler.

Round 3 Fuel Hike - US mechanized infantry attacks Soviet refuleing point in the woods.

Before joining the tournament, please take a moment
and carefully read these instructions that are specific
to all Combat Mission Tournaments!!!

PLEASE NOTE - DO NOT ABANDON, CEASEFIRE OR SURRENDER DURING A ROUND OR ELSE THE SCORING BECOMES INACCURATE.

- Please do not sign up for this tournament if you are not sure that you will be able to play all of the battles.

- Because of the way that Combat Mission’s original “play by email” system works, both game
files have an in-game field for password protection of the file. This field should be left blank. For the
US side the password has been selected before the battles were sent and that field is to be
left blank. You can use a password for the Soviet side but it isn’t needed because the Tournament
feature handles protection from cheating without using the in game system.

- The Tournament will have you playing 2 individual battles where you are playing both sides of
the same battle. If you get into the game before your opponent, you will see 1 game turn to play. If
your opponent has gotten there first then you will see 2 turn files and each turn thereafter should
have 2 files.

- Once a tournament begins you will receive the files in the "Saved Game and PBEM"; drop menu
under Automated PBEM++ In Progress. You will receive email notifications when your opponent has
sent you turns. 

- You will need a Matrix user name and password to play any tournament (or PBEM++ battle). If you
don't have one already you can get one here:

https://www.matrixgames.com/login

https://www.matrixgames.com/tournaments

50 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Round 1 Lattichdorf - US and Soviet forces clash over village

Round 2 Moppin Up Rotchstadt - A Soviet Category C formation mops up isolated US straggler.

Round 3 Fuel Hike - US mechanized infantry attacks Soviet refuleing point in the woods.

Might be a silly question John, but will the scenarios from this and other similar user-made scenario tournaments find their way to Bootie's fine repository?

9 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Might be a silly question John, but will the scenarios from this and other similar user-made scenario tournaments find their way to Bootie's fine repository?

That is probably where they will be. I believe he is working with Slitherine now to make that happen. It's what I'd like to see.

15 hours ago, Vacillator said:

The ones used for the CMSF2 tourney are available via TSDIII https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2-2/cmsf2-gmc-grand-invitational-tourney-scenarios/

• 2 weeks later...

pretty excited for this, first tournament despite having played CM for like 1.25 decades, lol. I saw GeorgeMC on the player list, be my luck to match up with the legend himself my first time out. we shall see I suppose. 

On 9/29/2024 at 5:29 AM, Sakai007 said:

pretty excited for this, first tournament despite having played CM for like 1.25 decades, lol. I saw GeorgeMC on the player list, be my luck to match up with the legend himself my first time out. we shall see I suppose. 

Very kind - not sure about legend, I'm mair a leg end! I regularly get biffed in H2H games :)

So my opponent sent our first turn, all well and good. I entered my matrix login where needed and it gave me the option to set a password. I didnt cause the instructions said as much, and i presume it sent back the next one. Haven't gotten the next turn back its been a few days. Did I mess things up or are they just taking forever?

I'm trying to do my turns but i can't join the tournament.  I thought no password was required but i hit Register, and   i get "400 request failed " whatever  error. 

So that i don't lose any more days on being late already,  please tell me how to join battle.  I did a Gettysburg vacation on 10/4, just as the tournament began and just got home tonight (Sunday 10/6) and the email notifications were sent to me on 10/2. 

Edited by decimated550
clarify question

once you select PBEM++ in the saved games menu, it should pop up a screen to enter your matrix username and password. Once you do that your turns should be there like regular save games are.

On 10/6/2024 at 10:33 PM, Sakai007 said:

once you select PBEM++ in the saved games menu, it should pop up a screen to enter your matrix username and password. Once you do that your turns should be there like regular save games are.

I thought i needed a special password from somewhere but okay duh the password for my other current Normandy tournament is yes..my Matrix password.   Okay great.  I did my US set up and plots, but then i tried to open the Russian file, but it didnt' work.  what can i do now?

17 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

@pugstorm I apologize for the delay in sending the first turns. I didn't think that I had signed up for the tournament. 🙂 We'll get through the round in time.

No problem gave me time to prepare for my demise as if you're join date is right you have been playing combat mission for longer than I have been Alive.

The slitherine PBEM++ queries me as to whether to let challenge partners email me or not, yet I cannot figure out how to email my oppo on either the slitherine or matrix site.

Anyone care to share the secret ? Feel free to also haze me for being stupid if the answer is obvious and I am, in fact, being stupid.  :)

On 10/10/2024 at 4:50 PM, ALBY said:

The slitherine PBEM++ queries me as to whether to let challenge partners email me or not, yet I cannot figure out how to email my oppo on either the slitherine or matrix site.

Anyone care to share the secret ? Feel free to also haze me for being stupid if the answer is obvious and I am, in fact, being stupid.  :)

Good question but I dont think its possible. At least I've never seen it actually work for CM games. Maybe it works for other games using the Matrix/Slitherine system.

On 10/10/2024 at 4:50 PM, ALBY said:

I don't find that choosing show e-mail is helpful at all.  I have tried using it in the past in tournaments in order to initiate e-mail exchanges with no effect. 

I think because if you select this option your e-mail is not at all highlighted as it will show up at the end of the very small text of the scenario description (circled) on the save game screen, and ONLY if there is enough room for it to be shown, because that text is hard-code limited to just three lines.  You can see from this Studienka example that the e-mail would never be seen. It would follow the text Accepted by (for which only Accepted is seen in the example screen shot).

Plus no one would know where to look for the e-mail address I think.

Screenshot 2024-10-14 174609.png

On 10/11/2024 at 9:50 PM, MeatEtr said:

Good question but I dont think its possible. At least I've never seen it actually work for CM games. Maybe it works for other games using the Matrix/Slitherine system.

It works fine for PBEM ++ battles. It will not work for Tournaments. 

The reason is simple. CM was not built for the Tournament system. To get Tournaments to work I had to come up with a workaround. The problem was that there was no way to force players to use a specific side of a scenario file. To do the mirror matches you need for that to happen. If a scenario file was used for a Tournament it would have been possible for players to end up playing the same side for both battles. To get around that, I use manual PBEM files. That way the side is already chosen. That is why the Blue side already has it's in game password preset at being blank. Because of that, the sharing of email addresses doesn't work.