Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sniper Hunt - beta version

CMBN: Sniper Hunt.

This is a teeny wee scenario - played as Brits vs Germans.

British platoon goes on a sniper hunt and eliminate an enemy observation post.

It’s not very long though I have allowed an hour on the clock. The key challenge for the British player is eliminating the enemy whilst absolutely minimising your casualties. In short how low can you keep your score playing as the Brits.

Best played As

There is only an AI plan for Germans, so best played as brits vs German AI. This might work PvP but it has not been played or tested PvP in that regard.

Background

It was inspired by seeing a series of IWM images taken on the 10th August 1944

Sgt Bert Hardy photographed a sniper-clearing party of 1/5 Welch "in action".

The images were staged, but give a fascinating insight into counter-sniper work in Normandy:

https://x.com/whincupm/status/1822166055193657671

Think might fall more into the realm of a training scenario rather than posing a significant tactical challenge, though the scoring might change that dynamic, but I’d be interested in any and all feedback.

I've avoided mission creep with the Germans but reckon it might be too easy for most seasoned players.

Acknowledgements

Many thanks to the following for playtesting and feedback:

BFC Forum

@Jim1954

@Vacillator

@slysniper

@PEB14

AA Sniper Hunt DRAFT_v4.btt

Edited by George MC

4 hours ago, Jim1954 said:

George, the briefing mention attached units but all I ever had was the infantry platoon. No sniper, pioneer or FO.

Ah. Yeah I took them out as completely overmatched the Germans. Forgot to amend the briefing!

I have 50 minutes on the clock (not the hour you mentioned).  And no off-map mortars as promised in the briefing, unless they are reinforcements?

EDIT:  forgot to mention, the briefing says I have 30 minutes.

EDIT2:  Briefing says time is 0415, in-game it's 1030.

EDIT3: Just realised the objectives mentioned in the briefing aren't displayed, is this intentional?  And yes I have tried Alt-J just in case 😉.

Edited by Vacillator

2 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I have 50 minutes on the clock (not the hour you mentioned).  And no off-map mortars as promised in the briefing, unless they are reinforcements?

EDIT:  forgot to mention, the briefing says I have 30 minutes.

EDIT2:  Briefing says time is 0415, in-game it's 1030.

EDIT3: Just realised the objectives mentioned in the briefing aren't displayed, is this intentional?  And yes I have tried Alt-J just in case 😉.

Ah crap. It’s the wrong briefing!! I uploaded it from the wrong folder!! I’ve been working on several scenarios…

2 minutes ago, George MC said:

Ah crap. It’s the wrong briefing!

LOL George 😂.  I did wonder when you mentioned company strength opposition and AT assets etc.  Shall I keep going?  So far I've KO'd a sniper and an MP40 wielder, with one casualty to my brave troops.  I have no idea where any objectives might be though...

14 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

LOL George 😂.  I did wonder when you mentioned company strength opposition and AT assets etc.  Shall I keep going?  So far I've KO'd a sniper and an MP40 wielder, with one casualty to my brave troops.  I have no idea where any objectives might be though...

The objective is kill the sniper and not lose too many guys. Sounds like you’ve done it :) though best make sure no-one else in the farm complex!

Just ran through it.

Sniper fired on my units 44 minute mark

I had two groups. one working up left  flank hedge row.

One working up roadway , wanting to position on right flank

Both groups able to return fire on the 43 minute mark, with MG's on Sniper.

42 minute mark:  pinned, then killed sniper

41 minute mark: mp40  spotted

40 minute:  mortar on right flank smokes enemy location

39, 38 minutes: Units move up into assault positions

37 minute: Smoke enemy location

35 minute Assault with some units area firing on objective

Assault team is 4 men (lost two - Kill radio man and spot a mp40)

34 minute mark: more fire on MP40 location , he moves and is shot  by assault group.

Game ends.  I find that there were two MP40's. Other must have died from area fire at some point.

Score 380  to 16

So like I said, make each of my guys worth 125 to the enemy and now you have a challenge.

12 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Nice map, and a quick (possibly fairly easy) assignment.

Ah brill many thanks for the play through. Aye apologies for the briefing bouraich!

Aye think it’s easy but I’ll follow up @slysniper’s suggestion re scoring. 

Much appreciated ta :)

10 hours ago, slysniper said:

Just ran through it.

Sniper fired on my units 44 minute mark

I had two groups. one working up left  flank hedge row.

One working up roadway , wanting to position on right flank

Both groups able to return fire on the 43 minute mark, with MG's on Sniper.

42 minute mark:  pinned, then killed sniper

41 minute mark: mp40  spotted

40 minute:  mortar on right flank smokes enemy location

39, 38 minutes: Units move up into assault positions

37 minute: Smoke enemy location

35 minute Assault with some units area firing on objective

Assault team is 4 men (lost two - Kill radio man and spot a mp40)

34 minute mark: more fire on MP40 location , he moves and is shot  by assault group.

Game ends.  I find that there were two MP40's. Other must have died from area fire at some point.

Score 380  to 16

So like I said, make each of my guys worth 125 to the enemy and now you have a challenge.

Ah excellent. Appreciate the playtest.

Yeah the sniper is a bit too keen on keeping his head up when he engages. I tried lowering the morale level but then they big out too soon. So AI plan tries to limit exposure. In saying that if you approach this correctly then your over watch should be in a position to neutralise/suppress any enemy long range fires allowing the assault element to get in close. The close range bit can be bloody…

The scoring is a good call - I’ll amend as suggested. Then the challenge is to keep your points down as you suggest.

Nice one thank you :)

23 hours ago, George MC said:

Ah crap. It’s the wrong briefing!! I uploaded it from the wrong folder!! I’ve been working on several scenarios…

Do you plan to update the scenario briefing?