CM: 1980 Central Europe

I know there have been requests in the past for a modern version of CM, but I just wanted to add another vote (after CM2: Russia, CM:3 Desert and CM:4 Blitzkrieg).

I was tinkering with Steel Panthers 2 to look up something in the database, and stumbled across the Germany 1980 campaign - boy did that bring back memories. What a great campaign - a mixed M60A3/M113 force with a few brand-new M1 Abrams against the T-72s and T-80s of the Warsaw Pact. Mi-24 Hinds, AH-1 Cobras and the new A-10 Warthog wheeling overhead... Just enough modern technology (thermal sights, effective attack helicopters) to really force different tactics than WWII, yet all at a moment in history when the two adversaries were far more closely matched than in the late Cold War.

It was a fantastic campaign, and brought a smile to my face again. But Steel Panthers 2 just doesn't cut it anymore after Combat Mission. I haven't been this addicted to a computer game since Steel Panthers back in 1995!

So please, Charlie, Steve, MadMatt and gang... please consider a "modern" CM in the future. ;> Should I beg some more?

Chris Johnson

It sounds good, but I really do want to see desert warfare first. Another time I think might be good to simulate would be Russia crushing the Hungarian revolution in the 1950s. Lots of city fighting, inf vs. tanks. It wouldn't be enough for a whole game, but as a couple of scenarios or an extension of CM 2, it would be great.

------------------

Charon doesn't make change.

Guest MantaRay

CM is too small of a scale for airsupport. WWII had them too, and if and when computers get powerful enough to support larger scale operations, I am sure BTS will "make it so." smile.gif

As for modern battles and such, I really dont think that is where Steve and Charles will go for a long time, if at all. They seem to be much more interested in WWII Europe, and may not have enough knowledge or fascination to do modern conflicts.

Also of note, it would take years to handle all the weapons systems that are in use now. They would have to hire Janes to help I think. smile.gif

Ray

Hi,

after the Eastern Front my vote would also be for modern warfare.

If you assumed all sides could make use of weapon systems that are mature, have been on the export market for a year or two and shown to work as advertised, then it would be a fairly even contest even today.

Plus of course it does not have to be the Russians V the US, why not the Germans V the US?

I also agree the a 1980 version of CM would have special appeal for many of the reasons given above.

With the stunning engine Charles and Steve have developed it would be a shame if we never saw an "Opposing Forces" version.

Steve, Charles why not licence out the engine just for a modern version of CM while you continue with your fine work on WW2?

All the best,

Kip.

The advantage of a 1980 scenario is that it is far enough in ancient history (20 years now, hard as that is to believe) that much of the data would be unclassified. I don't think it's easy to make a good modern simulator when people have to guess at the protection for a T-90S or M1A2. But data on the T-72, M1 Abrams (original), M60A3 and others is all widely available.

This would allow BTS to maintain the high standards of research and realism for which they are known, while appealing to a casual gamer with the ability to use "modern" equipment like the M16, M1 Abrams and Cobra. Steel Panthers 2 took this route with the SP1 engine and did quite well commercially.

2) Air Support -- while A-10s might be rare at this level of combat, attack helicopters would be common, particularly for simulating spearhead breakthroughs or defensive fire brigade scenarios where the choppers would be concentrated in a Central European scenario.

3) WWI -- while possible, I have a hunch its hard to find scenarios that are truly exciting for the player at this tactical level. The best examples would be something like Rommel's campaigns in the Carpathians against the Rumanians (read Rommel's "Infantry Attacks"), but even those battles were multi-day engagements with little of the breakthrough and give and take that wargamers love.

4) Engine -- while I'm sure that the ranges will have to be considerably expanded, requiring much larger battlefields for tank-v-tank engagements, by the time CM5: 1980 appears, the processors speeds should have caught-up. I said CM5 because I know BTS is already scheduled for Russian Front, Desert and Early War for the next 3 iterations. OTOH, Steel Panthers 2 showed that it was possible to take an engine designed for WWII and move it with fairly good fidelity to cover a modern warfare environment. Granted, it wasn't perfect, but it may not be as impossible as you think. This is particularly true for 1980, when Steve and Charlie wouldn't have to model all the electronic gadgetry of early 21st century warfare such as the networked digitization of the M1A2 or AH-64D.

Chris

I don't know. I would like to see a Pacific version. I realize there would not be alot of tank action but I enjoyed trying my hand at assaulting a beach in SP1. The only problem I had with the Japanese in SP was they were always fanatical.

Eric

How about real modern conflicts. I would love to command a company of Centurions on the Golan in 1973, for instance. But I think that NATO-Pact is the way to go for sales reasons (but maybe with and Arab-Israeli war thrown in). One can actually touch many of the weapons involved in museums. On a similar vein, I would love to see a NATO-Pact flight sim set in the 1970s.

WWB

My preferences for post-CM4:

China-Burma-India 1937-1945

WWII Pacific

Korea

Spanish Civil War

All these could be faily easily oncorporated in the CM system. WWII Pacific has a lot of fans, but I think some of the CBI battles could be fun.

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.