MadMatt - Disappointed you're trying to make money off us...

1) "20 minutes a day" has been shown to be wrong. Editing, evaluating, and non-code related functions obviously take longer.

2) You may start your own site and make or publish mods all day. Is Matt guilty of success (the most popular site by far)? He has no monopoly.

3) He only places restrictions on those who choose to offer mods via his site. I can make my own mods and send them to you, and vice versa, without restriction. In a sense, he is a carrier (probably not the first time he's been called THAT!) offering free "shelf space" to those who want their labors publicised. They are not compelled to take advantage of it.

4) Increasing traffic is good business. Matt's key to increasing traffic has been to provide great content, and a comprehensive rallying point for fans of this great game.

jpinard, I am sorry to hear about your illness.

I don't know what it has to do with your gripe with Matt, however, and I wonder why you chose to introduce it to this discussion? If you call into question someone's ethics, you should make sure your accusations stand on their own two feet. This was already discussed to death anyway.

Some of the other shots you have taken at Matt during the course of your crusade are very discourteous.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey JP, last time I checked my Visa, I didn't see a charge from CMHQ rolleyes.gif I think if Matt can make a dime or two from running his site, more power to him, (the marketplace will weed out the weak & gouger's.) So If you think you will do better or be more fair, go for it, start your own. Right now Matt has the best CM site. You're free to use it, you're free to not use it, that's it, stop ragging. Matt, you rock bro. (You could speed the site up a little). wink.gif

Big Dog

[This message has been edited by Bigdog (edited 09-19-2000).]

Let me get this just right. We have someone who taks the time to post DAILY? Sometimes even twice a night? Someone who is hosting our mods? Someone who takes the time to explain how things work? Give me a f**king break!!! If we try and bitch real hard maybe he will shut down the site. Then what? Anyone who has a problem with this setup no problem...just dont download the freaking mods. Please don't spoil it for the rest of us. Christ o mighty this is the biggest a hole subject matter posted yet.

sniperscope

Guest SS Peiper

This is all BullS***T, If a Mod maker feels like that he should send the mod to another site, But I think its funny that all the people that Bitch about Madmatt dont make any mods or anything else?? All I got to say is Madmatt keep up the good work you do for us. And JP sorry about your sickness but the game is great now, the mods just add eye candy it should not stop you from enjoying the game.

SS Peiper

If I understood correctly, Madmatt has not yet received one cent for his labors. He is supposed to eventually get some specified amount for each click on a CMHQ page that contains a banner ad. What happens when someone like me loads his page and sees no ads because of a handy tool called webwasher? Would that still count? Has the click accounting methodology gotten sophisticated enough to figure that out?

OOooh and what if it knows someone is using webwasher and won't count a page load as a click? Are we obligated to not use webwasher for CMHQ? Discuss.......

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

Wouldn't it be great if Combat Mission was a real live combat simulator. and all of us were commmanding real live soldiers. And we all got a salery, and bonus combat pay. That would be cool. Except if you lost money for losing battles. Then MadMatt would still be in the hole.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpinard:

Mace, considering I create sites myself from scratch and maintain them (for games also). I think I know what I'm talking about.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So lets get this straight Phem starts this crap about Matt's money binge last night due to side effects of perscription drugs etc, thread gets locked & jpinard reopens a new thread on the same topic.

1st off who are you to judge & condemn Matt or any of us here? who are you to speak for Matt, you have publicly implied; repeatedly that Matt's ego is empiricly spiraling out of control, he is in it for the money & that he is strongarming the whole of the CM mod designer community etc. The way you put it across I have visions of mod designers hideing huddled in dark corners trying to scrape up money to pay Matt the Godfather figure.

Your originial issue was your were aghast that Matt wanted money to maintain CMHQ despite the fact he was aproached along with Fionn & contracted to run it for compensation from its inception, this just now is getting ppls attention? are you lot storming off to every site on the net that has this practice in place or is Matt just your initial test case?.

Do any of you see how ridicoulus this all sounds? when asked for proof we get he is bound by secrecy oaths etc. Without any evidence whatsoever other then a personel whim this can be considered nothing more then use of this board to promote personel animosity towards one person, by a small faction for what reason's I don't know maybe jealousy, maybe they don't like the color of his html tags etc.

I say this until such time that you can prove your allegation's you have made against, Matt, regardless of secrecy packs etc, publicly aplogise to Matt & this board for wasteing its bandwidth & drop this subjuct, until such time you have something, if their is anything, to back up your claims, until that time youir wasteing our time.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

Notice: Spelling mistakes left in for people who need to correct others to make their life fulfilled.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 09-19-2000).]

From one of the "Discredited,endangered,and abused mod authors"

HEY BTS! can we get a padlock here? the theatre 'de absurde is getting on my nerves, which, for future reference, slows mod work a lot. frown.gif

(no cool until this forum comes back into the light)

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

Guest Big Time Software

OK, time to lock this one up. First, some "official" comments...

1. Matt hasn't made a DIME off of anybody's work and, in fact, is out of pocket money.

2. He spends a crudload more than 20 minutes a day on CMHQ. 2 hours is probably more like it. There is a LOT going on there that doesn't involve mods you know...

3. Charles and I have urged Matt and Fionn to pressure TGN to honor their contract. Why? Because they bust their butts and... something that has been missed here... the only ones making any money off of advertising (note: not mods!) is TGN/IEN. Yes, that is right kids, someone has been making money off of all this hard work and it hasn't been Matt or anybody else that matters. So why the Hell shouldn't Matt and Fionn get a piece of it?

4. I can say, with 100% certainty, that not a single person has emailed us about Matt's "strong armed tactics". If someone is really pissed off about something that is perceived to be hurting independent support of Combat Mission I am absolutely shocked and upset that they wouldn't email us. Matt might not have any power over mods makers, but we do have a fairly strong degree of pull over Matt (mostly just because he respects us and we respect him). This should be obvious to anybody, but it is CERTAINLY obvious to anybody that is "inside BTS". Everybody that has had "inside" experience with us knows that we are fair and act in the best interests of the situation. So the fact that I haven't heard a peep out of these two people means that either you have misunderstood what their position is or they don't really think it is a big deal. Otherwise I would know about it.

5. Matt couldn't possibly be holding back mod releases to increase hits and therefore money in his pocket. Why? Because he isn't getting paid a penny for this. I also know that Matt figured out months ago that he would never receive a dime from TGN, so don't even speculate that he is doing this for future or back wages. You don't know what you are talking about if you think this.

6. We urged Matt and Fionn to move their site to someplace more honest if the workload became "not worth it". In other words, if TGN wasn't going to pay up, and they got sick of doing so much work, we would help them find a new home that would treat them right. That was about 4 months ago, yet they have stayed on with TGN, increased their use of free time to support the mod makers in particular, and STILL have no sign of getting what they were contracted to receive. Man, if we only had a couple dozen "thieves" like this supporting CM!!

7. If someone doesn't like the way Matt does things they can, and in fact DO, use other outlets for their work. There is no monopoly. If CMHQ is the best out there, and you want your mod to reach the most amount of people, then CMHQ is probably your best bet. But you should ask yourself... why is it that CMHQ is the best? I can assure you it isn't because Matt spends a halfassed 20 minutes a day messing around with the site. If it were that easy, there would be a couple dozen CMHQs.

Conclusion...

This is a big todo about nothing. There is OBVIOUS advertising on CMHQ. Matt makes not one penny of the ad revenues he was responsible for creating (content doesn't just "sell" itself folks) even though he is supposed to and in fact should. In spite of this he still busts his ass to make CMHQ one of the best support sites out there for any game of any genre. He has our complete blessing and thanks. If anybody has a problem with the way Matt runs things they can go someplace else or, at the very least, let us know about the perceived problem. And if the person in question isn't willing to do either... that is HIS choice.

Steve

P.S. If anybody starts up another topic on this I will close it up as soon as I see it. What little discussion value that has been had in the last two threads has been exhausted. It is time to move on!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I myself have been a person who put just as much work into a website for a game (if not more), and never thought for a second of trying to take advantage of people to pad my income. Considering I'm terminally ill with Cystic Fibrosis, I certainly had a much better reason to do this than Matt does.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought about this argument last night as I went to sleep. I do not understand it. You are terminally ill with Cystic Fibrosis. Sorry life is tough. Always tougher on some then others, that is nature. Because you have a tough break it gives you more rights to money then others, why?