Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Running like crazies

God I like this game…

(Whining mod start)

But there are a few things that make me crazy. One of those is the "Blast" command. Having it as a move command is really a bad, bas, VERY idea. It leads to so many stupid situations!!!

The last one in my case: busting a bunker with the Blast order. Once the bunker gets blasted and destroyed, the blasting unit runs like crazy against the bunker wall. Obviously, the bunker inoccupants get out, but whereas the bunker busting unit shall have ambushed them, the fight turns into a senseless melee and the bunker inoccupants gain the upper hand !!! (They got shot by other units in the vivinity, but the blasting team got wiped out). Completely irrealistic (I mean, it could happen, but it happens in CM nearly every time…)

Not the first time and certainly not the last, but the "Blast" command is certainly one of the first command to revamp!

(End of whining mod…)

When I'm using engineers to blast a building or tall wall, I split off an assault team to do the breach while the rest of the squad is set up in overwatch. This usually works to deal with any unexpected surprises waiting for them (as a bonus you use fewer demo charges to do the breach I have found). Not tried this on bunkers but it should help to reduce casualties.

I don't even think you use the blast command against bunkers? Just getting the engineers close enough should see them throw the demo charge automatically.

But yes, the whole thing about panicked bunker crew or tank crew coming out fighting from a destroyed vehicle is just silly.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Just getting the engineers close enough should see them throw the demo charge automatically.

This also happens against tanks.  My US engineers managed to chuck a demo charge under a Flammpanzer III recently - I had brought them up behind it and that was it.  From memory at least two crew jumped out but they were taken out by the engineers and possibly others who were not impressed with the thought of recently being on the BBQ menu.

7 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I don't even think you use the blast command against bunkers? Just getting the engineers close enough should see them throw the demo charge automatically.

Well, I don't know why but my (German) engineers seem to be reluctant to throw their demo charges against bunkers (they're probably waiting for the Führer's Wunderwaffen). So when I get tired of waiting, I help them to do the job using the blast command…

5 hours ago, Vacillator said:

This also happens against tanks.  My US engineers managed to chuck a demo charge under a Flammpanzer III recently - I had brought them up behind it and that was it.  From memory at least two crew jumped out but they were taken out by the engineers and possibly others who were not impressed with the thought of recently being on the BBQ menu.

Indeed. Have you played the Kasserine Pass scenario from our friend @kohlenklau?

This one ended into a bloody mess. Out of AT weapons, I had my American engineers storm a German tank (or Italian-built SP gun? I don't remember) and destroyed it with demo charges, but they were wiped out by the tank crew which wore an incredible arsenal of weapons… smg and the like… Crazy event in a crazy scenario…