Gates of Warsaw scenario

Am curious if anyone would be willing to provide insights on the GE tactics that should be employed with this scenario, because I've been PBEM'g this scenario, and I have to say it seems to want to just force the GE into simply ordering a blind, headlong charge, across an obvious killing zone, re-creating a 20th century version of the Charge of The Light Brigade! The GE can't spot, can't area fire where suspected targets are due to repeated 'no aim point', and to top it all off, are often beaten to the punch in long-range gunnery. Plus the terrain is purposely setup to prevent them from working their way through the various woods to get into good, covered firing positions! So what else is left?

This thing seems to do more to simply highlight problems with the spotting algorithm than anything else! The RU just sit behind grainfields and/or hull down and just enjoy their fish-in-a-barrel target practice. To top it all off, the GE aren't allowed the obvious arty prep any such attack would require IRL. Every advantage is given to the RU, and the GE player is just left re-arranging targets on the range! Am I missing something? 

(Russian) guns to the right. Guns to the left. Guns to the front and on they rode, into the valley of death! With equally dumb results.

Am genuinely looking for constructive suggestions rather than just 'player problem' suggestions!

18 hours ago, RMM said:

Done so as to follow topic

You mean to bump it 😉?

I haven't played it but just had a look, you should be fine once you get to the 'flood plain' 🫣.

Are you playing the original?  I seem to have a Redux version as well, more GE reinforcements but it says play as Axis vs AI while the original mentions H2H.

I played this once against AI.  the result is a draw. Yes, it is hard.  The AI mismanaged its T-34/85 fleet but the 57mm Zis-2 and 85mm AA gun caused a lot of damage to my Panzers. I would image this is a pro-soviet scenario in PBEM  

However, the statistic on the Blitiz shows this is a relatively balance scenario, interesting. 

CMRT Gates of Warsaw - Combat Mission: Red Thunder - TheBlitz

Playing this against a competent PBEM opponent will show exactly why the Soviets appreciated the Germans wasting so many men and so much material on ill advised attacks instead of forcing them to crack prepared defenses in good terrain consistently.

It wouldn't have changed the end result, but it would have slowed things considerably.

9 hours ago, Vacillator said:

You mean to bump it 😉?

I haven't played it but just had a look, you should be fine once you get to the 'flood plain' 🫣.

Are you playing the original?  I seem to have a Redux version as well, more GE reinforcements but it says play as Axis vs AI while the original mentions H2H.

It's the redux. It does say at the end playable as H2H. Don't really know what 'bump it' means, but with something this, apparently intractable, am always curious as to what people might suggest, not in terms of move or attack here, but in terms of tactics and overall strategy. Always looking to learn. This thing just seems to leave the GE as mostly helpless targets on a range however. Short of a blind, headlong charge anyway, which I just

4 hours ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

Playing this against a competent PBEM opponent will show exactly why the Soviets appreciated the Germans wasting so many men and so much material on ill advised attacks instead of forcing them to crack prepared defenses in good terrain consistently.

It wouldn't have changed the end result, but it would have slowed things considerably.

And Martin is a very competent player!

5 hours ago, Vacillator said:

This is what I wondered.  Was the scenario meant to show this, rather than being a balanced H2H?

I do not know this scenario. Somebody interested in playing it (again) via pbem++?

• 1 month later...

I played it now PBEM, and I dont know what the problem is.

The Germans have plenty of options to engage and shape the battlefield, to go the easy way just work with tanks and Panzergrenadiere through the village and everything is fine. Use the various recon units to find the concealed AT-positions. Smoke screen and go.

The German side has more then 20 PzKw V and 8 PzKw IV, what else can you ask for.

Edited by M.Herm