Controlling Large Formations

I suspect that the answer is "no" but I'll ask anyway...

Has anyone got any tips to save the tedium of individual marching orders to Bn size units? I'm trying the Hammer's Flank campaign and the first mission is giving me RSI and some tedium trying to set up all of these movement orders.

Is the pathing still pretty shoddy when trying to group select units?

Cheers 

My MO is to try using group orders for company sized units. What I do is select the whole company, change the focused unit to something either on one of the edges or in the centre depending on where they will be moving. Then I plot some moves for all of them. Then I just check to make sure nothing too crazy was plotted for anyone and adjust as necessary. If the units are in a reasonable formation before the move that is all I need to do. If not I pay attention to the end points so that platoons are in a formation I want them to be in the end. Also I usually add some pauses so that small units (HQ, LMG, FOs etc) don't get ahead of the squads. Last thing you want is the company CO to be leading the charge all by themselves after a few minutes.

All of that is for units not in contact. Any contact or likely hood of contact and there is no way I'd do that for a company sized force. Then I would do platoons at the largest and there would be a lot more adjusting and pauses and changes for quick to hunt going on as appropriate for the terrain. Not to mention ending in cover of some kind if possible.

I give orders to groups (generally by Platoon) by first arranging them in the Setup Zone before the game is started. Once the game starts, this can be done by reforming Platoons/Companies in a "quiet" area, and resetting the formation for movement. Spacing can be controlled with this method by placing the squads whatever distance between is desired.

I will set Platoons in formations like a wedge, line, etc.. I'll also use two squads up, one back with support weapons and command units behind (in a diamond formation, generally).

Once this is done, I'll issue orders for movement, with all squads in the Platoon. I generally experiment with which squad the order is issued from - Most often this is the forward-most unit, but sometimes the rear-most unit works best. This is generally towards some terrain that offers cover, over-watch, or some other tactical concern for that pathing.

I will then adjust whatever squad/team ends up in an odd location. This is generally not too much of a task, as the formation is moving together and the setting of the end-point of the order is close to where it should be.

The main thing is spending some time at Setup to get everyone in the formations they need to be in for the tasks assigned.

(Ian answered as I was typing - generally the same idea!)

I'll generally arrange my platoons and companies into whatever formation I think makes sense for the situation (line, column, wedge (one up, two back), vee (two up, one back)), and then give group orders for the whole platoon or company, confident that if the group does run into the enemy they'll at least be in a sensible formation. That does a lot to manage the complexity of a large formation in the early 'movement to contact' phase of a battle. But once contact is made, enemy positions are revealed, and I start forming more detailed plans, I see no alternative but to start giving more detailed orders to individual squads and teams. I just accept that I'll spend more time on each turn and play fewer turns per day for larger scenarios.

Edited by Centurian52

15 minutes ago, Centurian52 said:

play fewer turns per day for larger scenarios

I think you need to prioritise.  Forget work, food, family, pets, etc. 😉.

I get drawn into individual movements maybe too early, often after splitting just in case.  Takes a while on the bigger battles for sure.