USMC Gung Ho v2 is up

I have posted a new version of the USMC Gung Ho! campaign I updated earlier this year. Here is a link...

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2-2/cm-shock-force-2-campaigns/cmsf2-usmc-gung-ho-v2/

What's changed?

The campaign script - winning a mission will guarantee that any vehicles that are immobilised or damaged will be repaired for their next mission.

Mission 1 - a Grenade Launcher Team is temporarily attached to 1st Platoon.
Mission 2 - an extra 30 minutes added to both versions
                    all mud tiles removed
                    Syrian Grenade Launchers replaced with MMGs and a Recoiless Rifle team
Mission 4 - an extra 30 minutes added to the mission
                    helicopter and air support assets are doubled (the second Cobra arrives as a reinforcement with a full load)
                    added transport vehicles to 1st Platoon and the engineers.

Briefings clarified for artillery assets shared between missions (hopefully)
Missions 4 and 5 are now must-win scenarios to progress.

Many typos fixed as well but I'm sure you'll find some new ones.

Edited by Paper Tiger

The first time I played M1 I used up almost all the arty ammo not realizing that one gets no ammo resupply for M2 and lack of arty hurt badly in M2.  I replayed, with the exact same strategy for the units, but was much more economical with arty... so that M2 became much easier.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 6:34 AM, Paper Tiger said:

I have posted a new version of the USMC Gung Ho! campaign I updated earlier this year. Here is a link...

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2-2/cm-shock-force-2-campaigns/cmsf2-usmc-gung-ho-v2/

What's changed?

The campaign script - winning a mission will guarantee that any vehicles that are immobilised or damaged will be repaired for their next mission.

Mission 1 - a Grenade Launcher Team is temporarily attached to 1st Platoon.
Mission 2 - an extra 30 minutes added to both versions
                    all mud tiles removed
                    Syrian Grenade Launchers replaced with MMGs and a Recoiless Rifle team
Mission 4 - an extra 30 minutes added to the mission
                    helicopter and air support assets are doubled (the second Cobra arrives as a reinforcement with a full load)
                    added transport vehicles to 1st Platoon and the engineers.

Briefings clarified for artillery assets shared between missions (hopefully)
Missions 4 and 5 are now must-win scenarios to progress.

Many typos fixed as well but I'm sure you'll find some new ones.

First of all I´d like to express my thanks to you for reworking the campaign. The original version was really hard because whatever I did I ended up with much to high infantery losses in spite of being very cautious. The enemy is tough - too tough in Mission 4 to gain a clear victory with what infantery I had retained (I suffered a minor victory, but again at too much cost)
I played through Mission 4 in the improved campaign now and again achieved a minor victory only, but his was due to the temptation to use Arty and Air to flatten the Islamic school. No regrets! A win is a win! Cheers!

P.S. I am playing "iron" and save every fife minutes. But I usually do not go back except for some fundamental error due to me being distracted by outside CM events like the milk boiling over or so.

Edited by wolfgang500
Typo

4 hours ago, wolfgang500 said:

I played through Mission 4 in the improved campaign now and again achieved a minor victory only, but his was due to the temptation to use Arty and Air to flatten the Islamic school. No regrets! A win is a win! Cheers!

I play Elite WEGO and just now got a Total Vic for M4 with maybe 15 inf casualties and a truck and Humvee KIA by enemy arty. 

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

The Syrian ATGM's are the main threat but they cannot fire from inside buildings so must be on roofs or on ground. So... my strategy (tactic?) was to keep all the vehicles including tanks and LAV's way back near the setup zone and move them forward so that they could devastate the roofs of the tallest buildings, and then move forward a bit more to devastate the next highest roofs and so on... Meanwhile the crack scouts moved forward to spot whatever they spotted.  The drone was shot down by enemy AAA.  However, the helicopters and planes which arrived later did not meet any resistance. 

I focused the heavy arty on flattening the buildings in the center (near the Mosque) so that my tanks and LAVs could fire direct at the buildings behind.  Two platoons were sent along the left (W?) of the map and assaulted on that line, with one platoon on the right.  I only moved the AAV's forward carrying the inf, but never used their firepower as AAV's are vulnerable in MOUT ops.  I never moved the tanks and LAV's from the hill near the set-up zone and only used them for long range direct fire support. 

In the end it seemed that these tactics worked and I had plenty of heavy arty, tank, LAV and aircraft ammo left over when the Syrians surrendered.  After it was over it seemed actually like a relatively easy mission compared to what Paper Tiger used to create.  It's possible that one may not need the tanks or one of the aircraft.  The helicopters found only a few targets for their 20mm, and I never used any 81mm.  Never found much use for the 60mm either.  I got a few points for slightly damaging a couple objectives and 0 points for flattening a couple more.  But, that was outweighed by killing enemy units and capturing objectives.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to starting this campaign and I must say that my impression even with the first mission was very favourable indeed! The Syrian forces seemed quite alive compared to the opponent in most campaigns (it looks as though you've made use of movement triggers) and on entering the village I was treated to one hell of a fight, which ended with upwards of 40 something POWs taken and a complete surrender being triggered by a mass surrender around the mosque (which, unlike most of the rest of the village, I did at least manage to preserve in violent house to house fighting).

Both getting fierce urban combat and a poorly trained and motivated enemy force which surrendered en masse after hard initial fighting was very enjoyable.

image.jpeg

In Mission 5, there are many bunkers next to AFV's.  Even if one manually targets a Jav at an AFV (or building etc) the Javelins will alter course in mid-flight and attack a bunker instead(!)  Not sure if multiple Javs will destroy a bunker but one hit will not.  The problem is how to deal with the AFV's and get some use out of the Jav's.

*******SPOILERS*******

It was necessary to use the aircraft and precision arty to destroy the AFV's. While waiting for the TOW's to arrive one can start to assault the NW objective.  When the TOW's arrived, use them to destroy the remaining AFV's.  After that, use TOW's to destroy the bunkers.  Once the bunkers are gone, the Jav's are useful for attacking inf in buildings or for destroying walls etc.  It's fairly easy after that to attack and take the main objectives with the inf and AAV's.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

In Mission 5, there are many bunkers next to AFV's.  Even if one manually targets a Jav at an AFV (or building etc) the Javelins will alter course in mid-flight and attack a bunker instead(!)  Not sure if multiple Javs will destroy a bunker but one hit will not.  The problem is how to deal with the AFV's and get some use out of the Jav's.

*******SPOILERS*******

It was necessary to use the aircraft and precision arty to destroy the AFV's. While waiting for the TOW's to arrive one can start to assault the NW objective.  When the TOW's arrived, use them to destroy the remaining AFV's.  After that, use TOW's to destroy the bunkers.  Once the bunkers are gone, the Jav's are useful for attacking inf in buildings or for destroying walls etc.  It's fairly easy after that to attack and take the main objectives with the inf and AAV's.

I've previously found that two Javelins are often needed to completely destroy a bunker. The first kills the occupants though, and the TacAI seems uninterested in wasting Javelins on empty bunkers.

Re your problem with targeting AFVs instead of the bunkers, have you tried setting Armour Target Arcs instead of direct targeting to prevent the bunkers being targeted? I found that to work in one of the Task Force Thunder missions, where the enemy had bunkers interspersed with AFVs.

Javelin works with target arc and  actually i like this feature (bug) because Javelins are very op otherwise . i had same issue in British campaign and had to set target arc to  catch and kill enemy BTR's otherwise they wasted all rockets on bunkers . I like this kind of limitation on Javs 

Edited by David Jaros

I started with armor arcs but there are so many bunkers in Mission 5 that invariably there was a bunker in the arc someplace and Jav's chose the bunkers as their desired target.  Then I tried manual targeting with a nice line to an AFV, but each Jav would detour away and hit a bunker instead.  This is a pretty major bug imo.

That's why I posted the advice above re how to not waste Jav's and win M5 fairly easily.