Grand Tournament Bug

Trsnaqe

4 hours ago, Trsnaqe said:

Hello, I am playing on Grand Tournament against the mighty @BFCElvis and there is a bug I experience. First thing is I never get to play soviets and I think he can confirm it and I do have 2 us turns which one of them cant be playable either doesnt says invalid password or crashes to desktop. 

Welcome to the forum!!! I've been trying to log into the Matrix forum to see if I could contact you. Thank you for beating me to it!

As I type, all battle turns are with you. When you go to the In Progress list:

CT.png

You should see 2 battles for the Tournament. Do you see 2 or only 1?

One other wrinkle that I suspect no one else has experienced but your symptom matches closes to this: you cannot use a launching tool to start the game. Or more precisely my tool (Whose Turn Is It?) cannot be used to launch the game in order to play a PBEM++ game. If you do logging in crashes or hangs. I have not figured out what the issue might be but to play you have to launch from the .exe or a windows short cut.

I did a few rounds with support trouble shooting only to find it was my own damn fault - oops sorry @BFCElvis and the super nice guy a Matrix whose name I forget.

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

Welcome to the forum!!! I've been trying to log into the Matrix forum to see if I could contact you. Thank you for beating me to it!

As I type, all battle turns are with you. When you go to the In Progress list:

CT.png

You should see 2 battles for the Tournament. Do you see 2 or only 1?

Sorry I wrote the post while I was almost asleep; I will try my best to explain the situation now, hopefully, haha.
I can play one of the turns just fine, everything works as it should which happens to be the US side for me. What is bugged/glitched is the other turn; I had multiple situations happened when I try to play that turn listed below:
- Asks for password with blank flag, not soviet without any way to click ok so game is stuck unless I restart
- Asks for password with US flag, I send the turn and after this step it either crashes or sends new turn even though I dont do anything except leaving password blank and proceeding
- Straight up crashing after loading 

to sum up with images:

9iAQ2AN.png
This one works as it should; my US side

oxIF1QQ.png
This one is bugged; it should be my soviet turn but experiencing one of the issues I've listed and I've experienced scenario 3; straight up crash after loading moments after showing Done. 

Last but not least I would like to help you and developers as much as I can but it might be hard to reproduce or something, Is there any way that I can reach you directly? 
ps: I will my US turn in a few minutes :P
Cheers.

Edited by Trsnaqe

As per the the very first entry in the Tournament instructions:

Before joining the tournament, please take a moment
and carefully read these instructions that are specific
to all Combat Mission Tournaments!!!

-          Because of the way that Combat Mission’s original “play by email” system works, both game
files have an in-game field for password protection of the file. This field should be left blank. For the
Axis side the password has been selected before the battles were sent and that field is to be
left blank. You can use a password for the Russian side but it isn’t needed because the Tournament
feature handles protection from cheating without using the in game system.

So, what you are seeing for the Red turn, at least regarding the password, is working as it should. What happens when you leave the password space blank and finish it? If you haven't tried that then that is all that you need to do.

You can always reach me directly either through the Help Desk (https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/) or at john@battlefront.com

The other battle seems fine. I got the first blood that I have gotten in any of the 3 Tournaments in my last turn. 🙂

As of writing this, I can't even get the password screen, it just crashes to desktop. I occassionaly get it; I don't know why and how but even in the cases I get it is not working properly. Can I stream to you on discord or something maybe? 

Edited by Trsnaqe
unfinished sentence.

2 hours ago, Trsnaqe said:

Crashing video. I do play on every tournament, cold war, red thunder and normandy and this is the only turn I have problem with.

Ok. Thanks.

The only thing I would suggest is that if you have any mods remove them from the Data folder.

Other than that we may be beat for the 2nd game. I messed up yesterday after playing my first turn in our battle. I went to the Matrix site after processing the file to look at the leaderboard. I accidently quit the Tournament. I let them know and it looks like they got me back in but it may have fouled our battle. I'm going to ask if there is any way to "refresh" your other file. If there isn't, I will throw the battle in some way that you can get the most points. If my screw up messed up your first round you shouldn't be penalized. 

15 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

Ok. Thanks.

The only thing I would suggest is that if you have any mods remove them from the Data folder.

Other than that we may be beat for the 2nd game. I messed up yesterday after playing my first turn in our battle. I went to the Matrix site after processing the file to look at the leaderboard. I accidently quit the Tournament. I let them know and it looks like they got me back in but it may have fouled our battle. I'm going to ask if there is any way to "refresh" your other file. If there isn't, I will throw the battle in some way that you can get the most points. If my screw up messed up your first round you shouldn't be penalized. 

Oh, I see. Thank you very much for the explanation. I do only have a single scenario installed, I will remove that and will try it.

I am participating in the tournament for fun, and I am relatively new to the series, having gotten into it sometime in 2020. I don't care about the points or my ranking in the tournament. I'm here to learn from the experienced players.

I wanted to help you by providing a detailed report and the steps I've taken to reproduce the issue, making it easy to troubleshoot the bug and prevent it from happening in the future.  

Dude I just spent an hour of work on a turn in cmcw and it all disappeared.

I saved the game, left, and reloaded it from the saved games folder. My work was gone. Fine. It wasn't much anyway. But then I submitted the turn after redoing absolutely everything and the turn never sent. The file was originally 002, but changed to 003 when I saved it. When I reloaded 003 and submitted it, it saved as 004.

@BFCElvis can you please check and see if my turn went through? Sorry to be a pain but I don't want to redo all of this. Hopefully the naming discrepancy is at fault here and my turn still sent.

I was the US defender submitting file "004" in CMCW

Edited by Artkin

59 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Dude I just spent an hour of work on a turn in cmcw and it all disappeared.

I saved the game, left, and reloaded it from the saved games folder. My work was gone. Fine. It wasn't much anyway. But then I submitted the turn after redoing absolutely everything and the turn never sent. The file was originally 002, but changed to 003 when I saved it. When I reloaded 003 and submitted it, it saved as 004.

@BFCElvis can you please check and see if my turn went through? Sorry to be a pain but I don't want to redo all of this. Hopefully the naming discrepancy is at fault here and my turn still sent.

I was the US defender submitting file "004" in CMCW

Quoting myself from the CMRT tourney:

Quick reminder, you can’t save a game and return to it later. So for the German defender with lots of fortifications and freedom to make their own defense setup. This can take awhile. So if you need a break, dinners ready, baby’s crying, etc, either leave the game running or alt-tab to minimize the game.

Also completely ignore any tourney files that show up in your saved games & PBEM list. These will not get sent to your opponent. Only play the ones under PBEM ++ in Progress list.