What are those 3 icons for?

7 minutes ago, Simicro said:

What are those 3 icons for?

The Green on the Left is Pause. The Circle in the Center cancels all orders. The Cross on the Right is to evade. Very useful when you have a lot of waypoints to manage.

Edited by chuckdyke

For the evade-button you probably should know that it is not just an automated "fast" command.

As I´ve learnt recently it is more of a withdraw option that overwrites certain morale effects.

For example your troops are pinned. You can give them orders but as long as they are in this status they most likely will not obey them until they go to normal again.

If you now press the evade button instead your squad will get up (some soldiers need more time than others) and move to the position that order is set to even though they are still listed as pinned beforehand.

This is more of a last resort option and will most likely get you some casualties. But it is better than loosing the whole squad due to rising enemy firepower or a flanking party that crushes it with ease.

Note that this option will not work properly in buildings. On a ground floor it seems not to be able to activate entirely and on upper floors it is faulty most of the time in my experience.

This may be on purpose by BFC to eliminate a worse TAC AI behavior as someone stated. Just so you know.

Edited by Brille

32 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Many thanks Holman and Brille for those useful additional infos. Much appreciated. I'm playing WEGO only and now understand why I could not see apparent effects of those buttons.

Well I must contradict Holman at least partially. Where the "Pause" and "Cancel" button may be more comfortable for realtime players, the evade button is very useful for WEGO players to as they don´t have anything like it.

It is a bit of a shame that this button is not praised as it should be.

I have tested it recently and it also surprised me that it actually has the stated effects as I thought otherwise for a long time.

The evade button if a unit is rattled using the evade button will make him go for the nearest cover. In a building it means the ground floor and that is where he stays. His morale is like shaken but you still can give him orders. But from cover you have a hard time till he recovers to nervous or caution. On WeGo I found it also useful starting a turn, but look at the terrain first.

9 hours ago, Holman said:

These are really only useful when playing in real-time. They don't have any effect during WEGO playback, and in WEGO the player has more granular control than these buttons during the orders phase.

I disagree.

Evade is a unique order you don't have access to via "movement" orders. You can shift the "automatic" waypoint it chooses even more easily in WeGo.

The "Stop" button is great when you want to entirely redo a long or complicated set of movement orders.

The "pause" button lets you halt a unit without cancelling all its orders, easier than pressing P 7 times.

9 hours ago, womble said:

I disagree.

Evade is a unique order you don't have access to via "movement" orders. You can shift the "automatic" waypoint it chooses even more easily in WeGo.

The "Stop" button is great when you want to entirely redo a long or complicated set of movement orders.

Yes +100 I only play WEGO and use these buttons nearly every time play.

9 hours ago, womble said:

The "pause" button lets you halt a unit without cancelling all its orders, easier than pressing P 7 times.

Oh and it's 9 times to go from no pause to "paused". :D