Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Creating Maps with CMAutoEditor

Butschi

On 8/23/2024 at 8:55 AM, Butschi said:

I don't know of any high resolution digital terrain models for Russia or Ukraine. You can use digital surface models from satellite data with the caveats I've described in this thread.

sorry if you have mentioned it before, where do you find these digital surface modules?

Honestly you made a really good tool, but this works best with German maps This should be advertised as mostly useful and user friendly for combat mission cold war. I Commend your hard work and dedication! It took a long time to find out that there isn't anything like geo portal for information outside a few select areas of the world. There is simply no reliably easy to access elevation data any where on the web for Ukraine. The open street map data works well for putting in buildings and roads etc. But the maps look silly without any elevation data which you must enter manually if you can even find it to enter. This Map maker does not work well for Combat mission Black sea besides the street map data which is easy to find. The data just isn't there. None of the websites that actually have geo tiff data will give it to you without signing up for it, which most times require you having affiliations with other organizations. You have to request the data which is approved or disapproved on a case by case basis. Which they may take a long time to get back to you. To anyone looking for accurate elevation data for making maps in Black sea do not waste your time like I have for the better part of the week it isn't accessible for free and it does not exist in anything other than geo tiff format which you will have to request and can be denied for. This tool works amazingly well for ww2 titles because you can access many historical battles areas elevation data and there are plenty of historical photos of the areas to convert into open street data. This is not the case for Ukraine.    

4 hours ago, jamesdemaio23 said:

sorry if you have mentioned it before, where do you find these digital surface modules?

https://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ALOS/en/dataset/aw3d30/aw3d30_e.htm

This might ask you to make an account but it's worth it. Granted it's 30m satellite imagery so it suffers in heavily forested areas. It's best in open terrain like deserts. Still, it can be pretty accurate especially with some sharpening up in QGIS afterward.

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

https://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ALOS/en/dataset/aw3d30/aw3d30_e.htm

This might ask you to make an account but it's worth it. Granted it's 30m satellite imagery so it suffers in heavily forested areas. It's best in open terrain like deserts. Still, it can be pretty accurate especially with some sharpening up in QGIS afterward.

Thanks for the reply! Using this tool can you download any files to plug into the map maker? Or is it just for reference?

1 hour ago, jamesdemaio23 said:

Thanks for the reply! Using this tool can you download any files to plug into the map maker? Or is it just for reference?

It's as Butschi described. These maps can be imported into a tool like Qgis, then are cut down to size and formatted for input into the CM auto editor tool. Once you figure everything out it's pretty tits. I wrote a guide on these forums which broke everything down

7 hours ago, Artkin said:

It's as Butschi described. These maps can be imported into a tool like Qgis, then are cut down to size and formatted for input into the CM auto editor tool. Once you figure everything out it's pretty tits. I wrote a guide on these forums which broke everything down

That's awesome! Is it in this thread? I clicked on your profile but could not see anything?

1 hour ago, jamesdemaio23 said:

That's awesome! Is it in this thread? I clicked on your profile but could not see anything?

Here ya go. I suggest watching the videos at the end first before messing around in QGis. 

49 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Here ya go. I suggest watching the videos at the end first before messing around in QGis. 

ok I've been following along but I'm absolutely lost on how you are able to match up the longitude points using both maps. I either suck at reading maps or I'm missing some setting.  I use google maps and find an area 50.81421588846642, 35.41678208459855 I find the tile that those should be in on the Japanese site. I get up to the part where you have to edit the latitude longitude points from the polygon you place. I have literally no clue how you are able to find the points in google maps that you place in the OGIS on the sat image. The sat maps on the Japanese website have no reference points except terrain features which aren't visible on google maps. What am I missing here?  Thanks again for the help

Edited by jamesdemaio23

3 hours ago, jamesdemaio23 said:

You're the best man!

You're talking about just finding the coordinates of the other 3 points right? If not, can you explain it to me in PM? I'm happy to sort this out with you, though it can be really confusing at first. It took me months to get everything going.