Which perspective is correct?

Playing a scenario that has tall grass in it. I have a tank that is on a small rise. If I put the camera inside the tank it looks like the barrel is blocked by the rise.

I move the camera to the spot I want the tank to look at and look at the tank. the tank has a perfect hull down position.

Edited by Simcoe

I guess that the answer to the question if you have a shot or not will depend on the size of the target. A Hetzer or Jgd Panzer is a fair bit lower compared to a Ferdinand for example.

If you can't find the answer 'in-game' the best thing to do might be to load up the scenario in the editor and place a shooter and a target at the desired locations and then use the fire command to show you the result.

Edited by CarlXII

3 hours ago, Dr.Fusselpulli said:

Probably the tank perspective. Microterrain elevations are not rendered visibly on higher LODs, if the tank is close to the hill, the details will be rendered in, while they're not there, when looking from afar from the target.

That’s what I still need to test. Does a tank without thermals get blocked by tall grass.

21 hours ago, Simcoe said:

Playing a scenario that has tall grass in it. I have a tank that is on a small rise. If I put the camera inside the tank it looks like the barrel is blocked by the rise.

I move the camera to the spot I want the tank to look at and look at the tank. the tank has a perfect hull down position.

In my anecdotal experience the grass does obscure LOS but not necessarily LOF. Not sure how thermals impact it, but they'll probably be better compared to non-thermals. At the same time thermals aren't x-ray so they shouldn't be able to see through grass but I'd say a thermal signature will stick out bright through any glimpse anyone could get. But that doesn't mean it works like that ingame.

3 hours ago, Simcoe said:

That’s what I still need to test. Does a tank without thermals get blocked by tall grass.

I've had wheat fields really mess with tanks, they can see the target but won't shoot because the wheat is blocking the barrel, I guess, which doesn't really make sense. I try to be careful with terrain features like that now because I'm never sure if it's going to hurt me or the enemy more when going inside it.

1 minute ago, Codreanu said:

I've had wheat fields really mess with tanks, they can see the target but won't shoot because the wheat is blocking the barrel, I guess, which doesn't really make sense. I try to be careful with terrain features like that now because I'm never sure if it's going to hurt me or the enemy more when going inside it.

Sounds like the best way to do is still the eye ball method. Putting the camera at barrel level and moving forward until you see the target. I’d use the hull down command but it’s so damn finicky.

2 hours ago, Simcoe said:

Sounds like the best way to do is still the eye ball method. Putting the camera at barrel level and moving forward until you see the target. I’d use the hull down command but it’s so damn finicky.

I started liking the hulldown command more when I started using the target command a bit closer to whatever I'm targeting, since it's trying to get line of sight to the ground, but vehicles or enemy infantry are taller than the ground. It's good for the broad strokes of getting vehicles about where you want them and then if it isn't perfect you can fine tune it later.

1 hour ago, Codreanu said:

I started liking the hulldown command more when I started using the target command a bit closer to whatever I'm targeting, since it's trying to get line of sight to the ground, but vehicles or enemy infantry are taller than the ground. It's good for the broad strokes of getting vehicles about where you want them and then if it isn't perfect you can fine tune it later.

For sure. It's all well and good until you're in a PBEM and it decides to send your tank past the hull down position and into the waiting arms of the enemy.

1 hour ago, Codreanu said:

Shoot and scoot from that position. Pause 45 seconds drive to firing position in the last 15 seconds. New turn consider your options which could include reversing.