Book - D-Day Tank Hunter: The World War II memoirs of a frontline officer from North Africa to the bloody soil of Normandy

I am reading this via my Kindle Unlimited subscription. Interesting book and good read; I’d be interested in other’s opinions. Especially interesting is the authors discussion of some rare re-use of captured French vehicles by the 21st Panzer Division. Things like the Somua MCG half-track repurposed as a mobile anti tank gun or rocket launcher, or the P-107 conversion for the 20mm anti aircraft gun. Some of you purists will want this equipment in Combat Mission, or maybe it is already there. The MCG anti tank gun varient looks so much like a German half-track maybe I have already seen it in my readings but did not recognize it as a former French vehicle.

52 minutes ago, civdiv said:

I am reading this via my Kindle Unlimited subscription. Interesting book and good read; I’d be interested in other’s opinions. Especially interesting is the authors discussion of some rare re-use of captured French vehicles by the 21st Panzer Division. Things like the Somua MCG half-track repurposed as a mobile anti tank gun or rocket launcher, or the P-107 conversion for the 20mm anti aircraft gun. Some of you purists will want this equipment in Combat Mission, or maybe it is already there. The MCG anti tank gun varient looks so much like a German half-track maybe I have already seen it in my readings but did not recognize it as a former French vehicle.

Thanks for the tip, Civdiv, I just added it to my library. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey CivDiv, just finished this one.  Excellent book, thx for the tip. 

Also just finished this one, audiobook (free in Audible catalog):  https://www.amazon.com/Those-Who-Hold-Bastogne-Civilians/dp/B00RA3PT24/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1E5LNGV196FTA&keywords=bastogne&qid=1676936897&sprefix=bastogne%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-2

I thought I knew all I needed to know about ardennes campaign, I was wrong.  I was shocked at the intensity of the fighting around Bastogne after Patton's troops made contact w the kessel.  The casualties were terrible on both sides as US tried to widen the supply route and perimeter while germans kept trying to take Bastogne / close the supply route.

23 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

Hey CivDiv, just finished this one.  Excellent book, thx for the tip. 

Also just finished this one, audiobook (free in Audible catalog):  https://www.amazon.com/Those-Who-Hold-Bastogne-Civilians/dp/B00RA3PT24/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1E5LNGV196FTA&keywords=bastogne&qid=1676936897&sprefix=bastogne%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-2

I thought I knew all I needed to know about ardennes campaign, I was wrong.  I was shocked at the intensity of the fighting around Bastogne after Patton's troops made contact w the kessel.  The casualties were terrible on both sides as US tried to widen the supply route and perimeter while germans kept trying to take Bastogne / close the supply route.

Thanks for the lead - just bought the Kindle version.

On 1/29/2023 at 8:01 AM, civdiv said:

Thanks! Added to the Wish List.