Why are there no Straggler units for the Soviet's??

Just wondering why there are No Soviet straggler companies or units to choose for scenario or quick battles?? I do realize during the last 10 months of the war that the German forces were doing most of the falling back or retreating, so there were plenty of straggler units, but the Soviets also pulled back many times after quick German counterattacks or localized mini attacks. I've also noticed that scenario creators and campaigns makers love to use German straggler units for their force mix, especially for Operation Barbarossa until just after Stalingrad, which I believe to be in error. The German rifle squad was designed from the outset to be centered around the MG-34 and later on the MG-42. The squad's main purpose was to support the machine gunner and the loader, whether it be flank protection or just bringing up ammo to keep the guns fed with their veracious appetites for bullets. By the use of straggler units, especially early in the war, the German forces are missing their number one weapon, whether in an attack or on defense. A straggler squad is completely out gunned by any Soviet squad except for the Russian sapper teams. I'm not saying here that every German unit has an MG-34 all the time, but if it didn't those squad members would be loaned out to other squads that have one in working order. SO back to Soviet stragglers, if I want a Russian unit without its LMG all I can choose is either a recon squad with mostly submachine guns or sapper units loaded with demolition charges, and thats not the fix i'm looking for. Hopefully in the future this overlooked feature can be added to the game.

That was on my initial wish-list, but didn't make the cut as it could be somewhat replicated with the tools at hand. OOB stuff gets hairy as things get added. That one was complicated by some aspect of the process to the point where we had to shift to other matters.

Getting the Volkssturm down took a good amount of time, with the new gear and trying to get something in CM that could do the work of all of the actually different fielded (versus on book TOE). These permutations took some extra time that sometimes can go to things that would be great to have as a scenario designer (but aren't necessarily crucial).

Edited by benpark

17 hours ago, Gary R Lukas said:

I've also noticed that scenario creators and campaigns makers love to use German straggler units for their force mix, especially for Operation Barbarossa until just after Stalingrad, which I believe to be in error.

I have a few Barbarossa scenarios so maybe you refer to me? 🙂 No worry. I desired to lower the firepower from the "real timeframe" of CMRT and CMRT F&R. My best result was the stragglers (rifles and MP40 only) and a separately purchased LMG34 (not LMG42) team in various combos 1, 2 or 3 "squads" under a platoon leader. I tried also to not have panzerfausts. That used to have a dropdown menu in old CMBB to make it zero but now it is random and hard to totally eliminate. 1 sneaks in somewhere it seems.

17 hours ago, Gary R Lukas said:

if I want a Russian unit without its LMG all I can choose is

I think that is incorrect. You have a better option. What I use is the "Recon Company 43 (Divisional)" and the squads are just 6 man and you have rifles, SMG and maybe an STV but no LMG. Sounds pretty straggler-y to me.

If I had my fantasy, CM would have a "build a squad" or whatever they'd call it to be able to be more granular and field what you want for the vibe of the scenario.

I thought to myself awhile back that one of the reasons to use Straggler units was probably the Panzerfausts, and Kohlenklau you answered my question. All I do to limit PF was to lower the ammo load to adequate or limited. Having early war Germans with PF don't bother me that much if the battle is mainly an Infantry fight, but if there is Armor, then yes, the PF could tip the scales of that battle. I thought another reason was the German MG-42, and honestly that weapon is a serious game changer if the battle is being fought at a good distance, say 200 yards or more. The MG-34 is just as lethal but with a slower rate of fire. Maybe in the next CMRT FR we could see Soviet stragglers. BTW Kohl, your not the only person who uses German Stragglers as frontline Offensive Infantry, lots of other creators do it also. Since we are here on this one page, I thought of making another side skirt in whitewash for the Pz III M, but I'm Not going to rename it, just leave it alone and see if that will work. B Good Brother

• 2 weeks later...