Editing Screen Resolution on Mac Book Air (M2)

Hi all, Installed CMFI Big bundle on my new Mac Book Air yesterday and the game runs fine. However my native screen resolution (2560 x 1664) is not displayed in the game options menu, I remember from my windows experience with the game that you could manually edit the screen resolution size in the Edit/Config/pref file? I cannot for the life of me locate this pesky file on my Mac, it is not in the game files. Anyone any Idea where this file gets hidden on a Mac? and if it still possible to edit the screen resolution? any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi Shakey.Bridge, welcome to the forum.

I just had a quick look but for the life of me I don't know where it should go, tried various places all to no avail. And a quick search of all my CM game folders revealed it doesn't exist anywhere on my Mac. I always deal with it by changing the resolution of my screen - I use a utility called EasyRes (available on the Mac App Store for free or not a lot) which sits in the menu bar and allows for very quick res switching without the need to open up the MacOS prefs panel. That way I can just leave the game set to 'desktop' and switch res as needed. I run a 5K 27" iMac so have to switch res quite often for various things and to save my eyes.

Otherwise we'll shine the bat light upward to call @Schrullenhaft who will surely have the correct answer for you.

The Mac OS version of CM lacks the 'display size.txt' option that the Windows version has (as far as I can tell). Within Options > Display Size, have you tried 'Desktop' ? This should usually match your native desktop resolution, even if it isn't explicitly listed by CM. Beyond that Lucky_Strike's suggestion of EasyRes would be the closest solution.

7 hours ago, Ultradave said:

The "display size.txt" file is located here:

<userid>/Library/Application Support/CMBN/display size.txt

For other games replace CMBN with CMBS, CMCW, CMFB, CMFI, CMRT, CMSF2

Dave

Interesting. I hunted high and low for this, nowhere to be found on my Mac, wonder if it only appears under certain circumstances? What does you file contain? Is it the usual few spaced numbers? More importantly - does it actually make a difference?

Edited by Lucky_Strike

Never really played with it that much but I did just now. Annoying really. It seems to default to 1440x900. (MacBook Pro). If I set the resolution to 1680x1050, and then set the options to Desktop, that file changes to 1680x1050. Restart CMBN and it's running higher resolution. Unfortunately the options doesn't stay set at Desktop and will revert back to 1440x900, even if my desktop setting stays at 1680x1050 and not Desktop.

I seldom use the higher resolutions on mine as my eyes get really tired. 1440x900 is fine for me so I haven't played much with this.

Dave

9 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Never really played with it that much but I did just now. Annoying really. It seems to default to 1440x900. (MacBook Pro). If I set the resolution to 1680x1050, and then set the options to Desktop, that file changes to 1680x1050. Restart CMBN and it's running higher resolution. Unfortunately the options doesn't stay set at Desktop and will revert back to 1440x900, even if my desktop setting stays at 1680x1050 and not Desktop.

I seldom use the higher resolutions on mine as my eyes get really tired. 1440x900 is fine for me so I haven't played much with this.

Dave

This is interesting. I wonder if I create a file in the mentioned location would the game pick up on it, I don't see why not. I have a problem on my 5K iMac - it's such high res that running the game at native resolution makes the GUI really tiny. I use to the aforementioned EasyRes to switch my screen to a workable resolution, trouble is that's a little different than my preferred everyday resolution, so it would be good to have a specific resolution set just for the game without having to change it for all my other stuff as well. Worth a shot.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Impboi said:

Hi, I have a similar problem on my Mac, but the resolution of the game has got so low that the resolution menu option is now not visible and nothing I have tried can get it back to full screen, so the game is now unusable. Any advice?

Hi Impboi, did you try any of the above? What's you OS and processor type? When you say it's so low do you mean it's something like 640x480? I've just reinstalled a bunch of stuff so I might have to contend with some of this myself.

12 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Hi Impboi, did you try any of the above? What's you OS and processor type? When you say it's so low do you mean it's something like 640x480? I've just reinstalled a bunch of stuff so I might have to contend with some of this myself.

I’ve tried all of the above. OS is Ventura and processor is intel i5. I described it quite poorly, the resolution is actually something like 4K, or maybe 2000 something, but only part of it fits on the screen, and no matter what I change the screen resolution to, it only displays part of what it should be so I can’t click on the display options.