Continuing the development of Combat Mission

Would it be valuable to break the mold a little and go back, before World War II, and show earlier conflicts? All games should be designed with a point or intention in mind, maybe something like the Spanish American War could be an interesting look at Single Shot vs repeating Bolt Action rifles. An easy title would be Korea, almost all the assets exist already. Would be a lot less work than an entirely new setting.

Edited by Rice

On 6/10/2022 at 8:46 PM, Rice said:

Would it be valuable to break the mold a little and go back, before World War II, and show earlier conflicts? All games should be designed with a point or intention in mind, maybe something like the Spanish American War could be an interesting look at Single Shot vs repeating Bolt Action rifles. An easy title would be Korea, almost all the assets exist already. Would be a lot less work than an entirely new setting.

Nice idea. E.g., Korea has been proposed many times. Spanish Civil War and Middle East Wars should be good topics, too, but it obviously is a question of sales prospects vs resources for BFC.

In general: CM is a very much tank focussed game system. As all systems, it works best in the environment for which it is designed. So, CM is probably not very useful for a „pre-tank” time frame. Imagine a 1960’s garage trying to repair your brand new Ferrari. They would probably not be very successful.

CM is probably the best infantry simulation on it's scale out there, considering the immense amount of detail put into their soft systems and equipment modeling. I do not think it's fair, or true, to say CM is a Tank Focused game. There are campaigns almost complete devoid of armor packaged into the games themselves. CM would need to update the engine to go back to when black powder weapons were most predominant on the contemporary modern battlefield. (Spanish-American war is pushing it). Either way any new CM would be nice considering that all of the expected content just got axed (delayed indefinitely) by the war. BFC doesn't like to tell us things early but it's been bone dry lately (pun intended). Some unique variety and spice to add to the franchise may well be needed. People have asked for a pre-WWII game for a long time, would be really excellent to see it happen in any form. Or something in the pacific (like the aforementioned Korean War). The transition from Trench Warfare to Maneuver warfare? Potentially a very interesting concept to attempt portraying on the scale CM specializes in.

1 hour ago, Rice said:

CM is probably the best infantry simulation on it's scale out there

I completely agree, just because of the 'soft factors'. Splitting and having the choice of direct or area fire depending on the weapons you have. A like from me. 

Would love to see Engine 5 and CMBS expanded, my favorite CM game for a while.  Mainly, I still want larger functioning maps, 6x6km or bigger?  Maybe more building, fence, and flavor object variety: cell towers, electrical structures, chain link and corrugated metal fences, a few civilian vehicles...  Maybe some kind of command post structure.  Any gfx improvements are welcome.  More rubble and debris and maybe a little more fire and smoke.  Ability for troops to ride on top of vehicles like other CM titles would be nice. In the editor it would be nice to have a way to import parts of different maps into other maps like one used to be able to do in the old days.  It is very difficult and time consuming to make a good huge maps completely from scratch.  Looking forward to that new CMBS module and curious about the professional version and what that may have that the general game doesn't.  More Russian rocket artillery?  MLRS?

The Arab-Israeli Wars are a perfect fit for the game system but I don't think the developers are interested. Same goes for the Indo-Pakistani Wars which actually saw a lot of tank combat.

As for earlier wars, tactical early and mid WWI is notoriously difficult to simulate but anything from 1918 onwards should work fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 5:00 AM, Duckman said:

The Arab-Israeli Wars are a perfect fit for the game system but I don't think the developers are interested. Same goes for the Indo-Pakistani Wars which actually saw a lot of tank combat.

As for earlier wars, tactical early and mid WWI is notoriously difficult to simulate but anything from 1918 onwards should work fine. 

Same! It would be so easy too. Just put a bunch of the Cold War gear in the desert and you have Israelis vs Egyptians/Syrians.