Tank / gun special ammo selection

1 hour ago, bruno2016 said:

is there a way to choose which type of ammo (AP, APCR, HEAT,..) a tank or gun can shoot when such ammo is available, or is it only at the discretion of the AI based on the tactical situation?

No, it is down to the AI/tank commander whether we agree with his choice or not.

And the next question I asked about ammo was what ammo is pre-loaded in my tank prior to spotting an enemy tank, AT gun, infantry etc.?  The answer was that it is abstracted such that the tank can always fire the correct round (assuming there is a correct round for every target). Abstract yes, but understandable in game terms.

ok. then this doesnt allow then the common practice, especially by the Germans in short supply of tungsten, to first fire normal AP for target acquisition then shoot with APCR. Or maybe this is what the AI is doing, based on ammo allocation? To be checked during a game

14 hours ago, Vacillator said:

And the next question I asked about ammo was what ammo is pre-loaded in my tank prior to spotting an enemy tank, AT gun, infantry etc.?  The answer was that it is abstracted such that the tank can always fire the correct round (assuming there is a correct round for every target). Abstract yes, but understandable in game terms.

good abstraction lol. just imagine a tank crew cowering and firing smoke in haste, instead of AP, when facing another tank .... 

• 2 months later...

The tank crew keeps a shell in the barrel ready to fire

The commander tells gunner which shell to keep loaded in breach for quick fire AT, smoke or HE ?

road march to battle carry

Imagine how difficult it was to pick which shell to keep in the breach.

Do I carry a loaded a HE or AT? Then if you see a tank with HE in barrel he can you eject or have to fire that first? and load an AT round all while enemy tank is sighting you up.

These things were excellently displayed in Close Combat series of games.

It's all really skill level of crew.

Edited by user1000