Artillery Porcedure Explained! Once and for all since you people make me tired!!!!

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

Ok ok ok,

Perhaps it is time to explain how this works ONCE AND FOR ALL...

Turn on your thinking caps children as its schooling time.

Think of this as a mini FAQ on Onboard Indirect Mortar Procedure and TRP Useage!!!

This process is called Onboard Indirect Fire, or OIF for short, and it works slightly different from the FULL VERSION and the DEMO. Since the full version will very likely be shipping soon that is what I am going to focus on although I will mention the difference between the two as there is only one...

First off, what do you need to have to make this work? A mortar team IN COMMAND from a HQ unit, any HQ unit! If multiple HQ's are in the vicinity and within command radius the HIGHEST RANKING unit will take command. Once the mortar is within command if may fire at ANY AREA AND UNIT(in the demo he may ONLY fire at areas and NOT units, that is the difference!) within Line of Sight (LOS) of the HQ unit.

Can the mortar team MOVE and still perform OIF? Yes as long as he stays within valid command radius of the HQ and the HQ's maintains its LOS to the target area or unit.

Can the HQ unit Move and still provide spotting and command to the mortar team performing OIF? Yes, again as long as he can see the target and maintains command of the mortar team.

What happens if command and control (C&C) is broken between the HQ AND/OR LOS to the target is broken (due to smoke, the HQ moving etc...)while the mortar team is firing OIF? The mortar team will cease fire immediately. It will resume firing within the same turn if C&C to the HQ unit, LOS to the target or both (depending on what caused the unit to cease firing) is re-established.

Can a HQ provide spotting and command for multiple mortar teams? Yes, again so long as he has a LOS to the target and the teams are within his command radius he may command as many mortar teams as can fit into this command radius.

Can multiple mortar teams that are under C&C of a single HQ unit fire on multiple targets? Yes, the targeting is actually done (drawn out from) the individual team.

So, how DO I target OIF? Man, you ask allot of dumb questions don't you?

Ok, Here is how you do it: First tuck your mortar team(s) somewhere nice and safe and preferably on a reverse slope or behind a building. Then get a HQ unit close enough to provide C&C and also with a good LOS to expected enemy axis of advance or strongpoint. During the orders turn you can use the LOS tool FROM THE HQ, to view what he can see. Anything that is within his Valid LOS (a blue line in the LOS tool) is a valid target for the mortar teams. To target, select the mortar team, select the Target option (T KEY) and then drag the targeting line out to the area (demo only: see below) or unit you wish to target. Since the target is out of LOS the tool will say SIGHT BLOCKED. However when you 'select' the target or area (left click) the target bar will STICK and show a targeted area fire line. When you see that the team will fire.

In the demo, why can't a mortar OIF target a UNIT? In the demo, when you target a specific unit you are in essence telling the mortar team to wait until the targeted unit comes into LOS of the team regardless of if the HQ can see them or not. This was changed in the Full Version and now when you target a unit out of LOS using OIF the method of firing will actually SWITCH to area fire for you. Basically it will target the ground UNDER the unit and not the unit itself but ONLY when firing with OIF(see below)!

Won't this effect the ability to target moving targets that are within the Mortars teams LOS? No, since the game can now differentiate between a target out of LOS from the team, but within LOS of the HQ, and targets that can be seen BY the team. If a mortar team can SEE a target they will adjust fire on it automatically if the target moves. Adjusted fire in not preformed if they are firing OIF. But remember, we are only talking about 60 seconds here and if a targeted unit has passed beyond the barrage zone you can simply retarget the units new position and resume firing ,assuming the enemy is still within LOS of the HQ.

What happens if my mortar team is in C&C to a HQ but the target is within the teams LOS? The mortar team will fire on the target using it's normal DIRECT FIRE which will obviously be more accurate and will not require the HQ unit for C&C or spotting.

What are TRP's? These are Target Reference Points and basically are areas PRE-SIGHTED for fire from offboard and onboard mortars.

What are the advantages of a TRP? Faster reaction time (for offboard arty) and MUCH GREATER accuracy for both onboard mortars and offboard arty.

How do I use a TRP? For offboard artillery you would target the TRP with the assigned spotter. For onboard mortars, you would target the TRP from the team itself.

Do I need to have LOS to the TRP? No, this is NOT required since the target area has been pre-plotted prior to the battle.

How do I place a TRP? This is done in the setup phase and it is moved and placed just like any normal unit. One thing make note of is that TRP's can be placed OUTSIDE of the normal colored setup area. This effectively means you can pre-sight ANY spot on the map for your mortars and offboard artillery.

Do I need a HQ unit to fire on a TRP? No, the mortar team does not need a HQ to fire on a TRP since they already have the co-ordinates for this area setup.

Can a mortar team Move and still target a TRP? No, once you move, all those fancy trajectory calculations and ballistics formulas your team had to that TRP are screwed up.

You said above that if I moved my mortar team they couldn't fire on a TRP but I tried this and they DID fire on it!! Does this mean you are wrong? Why you little punk! I outa pull out my whipping stick and whack you one! The reason the team was able to fire was due to one of two things occurring: 1). The TRP was in fact within LOS of the team itself and what they were doing was firing normal direct Area Fire or 2). The TRP was within a HQ's LOS which had C&C to the mortar team and they were actually firing OIF at that area. This type of fire will not be as accurate as normal TRP targeted fire. Don't EVER doubt me again PUNK!

Can a spotter move and still target a TRP? Yes...

Can dual purpose and direct fire infantry guns, onboard (88's, 105's, sIG', quad 20mm's etc..) target the TRP and more importantly gain the accuracy benefit? If they can see it they can target it (DOH!) but they do not IIRC gain any special accuracy benefit from it. TRP's are meant for offboard artillery assets and mortars.

WHY??? Cause I said so!

Can spotter for offboard artillery target a area outside of their valid LOS? Yes, but expect the pattern to be fairly scattered and there may (again, I need to verify this) be an added delay on the firing time.

Can a spotter that is under C&C from an HQ unit spot 'through' the HQ like the mortar teams above? Umm, NO!

Now, is that CLEAR???

Madmatt

p.s. DAMN, I spent all that time spellchecking this and I go and spell 'Procedure' wrong in the Thread title!! DOH!!! eek.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-12-2000).]

Perhaps a little too much coffee this morning, Matt?

Just one other added chunka advice: Ditch the whipping stick. Billy clubs or nunchuks work so much better biggrin.gif

Well, the bit about the change from the demo to the full version (that a commanded mortar can now do specific-target IF as well as area-fire IF) is news to me. But I wasn't checking earlier. So thanks for laying out all of the above.

Now for me to drink a good hot cup of Shut-the-hell-up.....

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Aaaaahhhh, so thats how it works, why didn't someone just say so in the first place!

Cheers Madmatt, my light bulb just illuminated.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest Madmatt

If you read the above procedures BEFORE 10:30AM EST, I just added a couple of points in regards to how spotters target... biggrin.gif

Just trying to help.

Madmatt

p.s. Expect to see the above get posted into the Annex's Golden BB's section later tonight...

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Excellent Matt, thanks, that answers all my questions ... well, not all, I'm still unsure about what happened at Roswell in 1947 ... but actually if I'd had a spotter on the hill there and he was in CC with a mortar team ... hmmmm, guess it does answer all my questions.

Joe

------------------

"I don't want them brave, I want them dead!"

Thomas J. (Stonewall) Jackson

This is exactly why you see one of my troops from my Army of rolleyes.gif every now and then when people ask the same stupid questions over and over again.

But appreciated the clarification on this. I doubt I will ever use it, but good to know if the opportunity arises.

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leftwing66:

A tasty dish. I wonder if I could have some more, only with a touch less vitriol?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NO!

Now drink your WARM GLASS OF SHUT THE HELL UP!

cool.gif

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

NO!

Now drink your WARM GLASS OF SHUT THE HELL UP!

cool.gif

Madmatt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great Dennis Leary quote MadMatt! biggrin.gif

"Why?! We got the bombs pal! Two F'ing words. Nuclear F'ing weapons!"

Guest Madmatt

Nope, Wrong Quote!

Think Happy Gilmore...

I would assume that OIF IS slightly less accurate as its is spotting via proxy in effect...

Madmatt...

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Okay, just one more question on that (OIF) topic. During the HQ's tenure as a spotter, is it "active" or can it remain in hide-mode?

When a FOO is giving target instructions to its battery, it ceases to "hide" if that's what it was doing. Is the same true for Headquarters and OIF?