IL 2's

I'm playing a scenario called Against the Odds or something like that by PBEM with a friend.  I am the Russians and getting my butt kicked because I can't knock out his King Tiger tanks of which I think he has two.  One of them as taken about 14 hits, 8 from the rear.  Three of those were from a ISU 122 firing AP which really surprised me.  There are about 40 minutes left in the scenario.  I have lost approximately 20 tanks to his 2 Mk. IVs.  I haven't surrendered yet because I have three IL2's and am wondering if they will be able to knock out a King Tiger.  However they have  been displayed as "en route" with a red circle and diagonal line in the middle plus "preparing" for about 20 minutes.  I can access their display by clicking any unit so it doesn't have to be an observer or HQ.  If anyone has played this scenario can you tell me if these planes ever show up?  Can you direct them to attack a specific unit?  If they do were you able to knock out a Tiger?

I haven’t played it but they should be able to knock out any armour the Germans have. Soviet aircraft can’t be controlled however, they turn up when the scenario designer designates it and are under control of the AI, you can’t designate targets because of this.

MMM

Edited by Monty's Mighty Moustache

I've noticed that in a couple of RT scenarios planes never seem to arrive to the battlefield, or if they do they never drop any bombs. In Against the Odds I remember all of the German AAA shooting at the planes but I don't remember them ever bombing or strafing anything. I've definitely had planes "preparing" for over an hour and never arriving though.

18 minutes ago, Codreanu said:

I've noticed that in a couple of RT scenarios planes never seem to arrive to the battlefield, or if they do they never drop any bombs. In Against the Odds I remember all of the German AAA shooting at the planes but I don't remember them ever bombing or strafing anything. I've definitely had planes "preparing" for over an hour and never arriving though.

They are scared away by heavy AA.

6 hours ago, Codreanu said:

Not attacking because of the AAA threat makes sense, but sometimes planes will not show up at all.

You need to create events so that the enemy reacts and the planes can spot them. If you wait for them to bomb you could possibly wait for a long time. 

22 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

You need to create events so that the enemy reacts and the planes can spot them. If you wait for them to bomb you could possibly wait for a long time. 

The issue is the planes never arrive at the battlefield so they never have anything to spot for the first place. Doesn't matter if you have an entire tank battalion sitting in an open field, if the planes never arrive to the battlefield they can never shoot at anything. The question is if it's a bug or arrival speed is based on experience and maybe low experience planes take an excessive time to arrive, or it's something else. Doesn't seem like it happens consistently because I've had planes arrive fine and other times they never show up at all.

2 hours ago, Codreanu said:

Doesn't seem like it happens consistently because I've had planes arrive fine and other times they never show up at all.

Sometimes they bomb your own units happened to me. Independently planes spot moving armor or armor in the open. They are at times dangerous for your own units too.