Tabletop Simulator?

StieliAlpha

I have it, but haven't used in maybe two years.  Fundamentally, its the same as VASSAL.  But it goes to great lengths to make it feel more like a boardgame.  Its got a lot of flash that VASSAL doesn't have.  But if I had to do it over again, I'd stick to VASSAL.  TS does have a better portfolio of games than it did a couple years ago.  But VASSAL still outnumbers it from what I can see.  Thats from a wargaming perspective.  TS seems to have a broader appeal.

8 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

I have it, but haven't used in maybe two years.  Fundamentally, its the same as VASSAL.  But it goes to great lengths to make it feel more like a boardgame.  Its got a lot of flash that VASSAL doesn't have.  But if I had to do it over again, I'd stick to VASSAL.  TS does have a better portfolio of games than it did a couple years ago.  But VASSAL still outnumbers it from what I can see.  Thats from a wargaming perspective.  TS seems to have a broader appeal.

I.e., like VASSAL, the different modules have no „in-built“ rule set, but to play you still need to get a copy of the game rules elsewhere?

On 1/28/2022 at 4:05 PM, StieliAlpha said:

Does anybody know, what exactly the Tabletop Simulator is? What is the difference to Vassal?

On a quick first glance, I have seen some interesting modules, like „Fulda Gap“, which might be a good operational overlay for CMCW.

I have used both and now mainly use TTS.

The key difference is the ability to create and use 3D models in TTS, so it provides better immersion and looking games. If you are just looking to play 2 player board games Vassal is OK. 

If you want multiple players at same table then TTS is the one to use.

It has grown in use due to lock downs and has a massive catalogue of user generated games. We'll worth getting the hang of it and it's quirky interface. 

I used it to finish off a Gloomhaven campaign that Covid stopped us from meeting FtF.

TTS and Vassal are functionally doing the same thing - a simulation of a boardgame on the table in front of you.

TTS is in a 3D engine, which helps with a number of things, and is much easier to amend and prototype stuff with - it's trivial to import/create new objects.

I significantly prefer TTS for live play. Vassal is the stronger option for PBEM.