Really interesting talk on the T-72 and T-64

S'Bovvy.....Innit!  ;)

David's a really nice bloke too.

The Tank Museum has an impressive library, with some really unusual (and for me unexpected) things in it.....The items that surprised me the most were a large selection of hand embroidered greetings cards(?) sent by WWI tank crew to their sweethearts back in the UK (& no, I didn't get that the wrong way round).  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Overall, that was terrific, first rate, etc. But as someone who did this stuff for a living, including looking at satellite images of the sprawling factory complex, his repeated turning of the iconic Nizhny Tagil into Tizhny Nagil was like fingernails on a blackboard. Happily, that was the only real error I caught, Have some vague memory, though, of reading something by one of the CMers challenging the supposed inferiority of export T-72s. My recollection is that the person writing showed the specs were the same as the widely produced and used in the Soviet forces early model T-72. This conflicts with what the curator was saying about degraded armor and lower performance systems being used in the export model aka monkey model. Something I found very jarring at the time was how eager the Russians were to show off the T-72, to the point surprised French officials were able to climb into the tank, which had its ammunition in plain sight on the glacis plate! To those of us long accustomed to Soviet secrecy about everything, including soap production,, this was jaws-agape astounding to see.

Regards,

John Kettler

5 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Have some vague memory, though, of reading something by one of the CMers challenging the supposed inferiority of export T-72s. My recollection is that the person writing showed the specs were the same as the widely produced and used in the Soviet forces early model T-72. This conflicts with what the curator was saying about degraded armor and lower performance systems being used in the export model aka monkey model.

I'd trust the Tank Museum on this (they ain't your average museum and they have very knowledgeable neigbours).  ;)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Tank+Museum/@50.6950079,-2.2449529,18.17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x4872552b9490d04d:0x3b0785b71b79cf5b!8m2!3d50.6949825!4d-2.243119

And no.....I don't mean Monkeyworld (much as I love it)!  :P

Went to the museum last summer. Awesome day, I missed Tank Fest by a few days, had no idea it was on. Still saw an M60, warrior and a few others running about. And, there is a large Monkey Park only a minute or two away, for some light relief. As a great man once said “Monkeys were made by God to entertain us”. 

Edited by Jace11