Panther in Vietnam - fact or fiction

I had a fellow ask me by email, since I have a web site dedicated to Panthers, if I knew about the Panther the French sent to Vietnam for trials which was eventually abandoned there.

I have never heard about this story whether if it is true or not.

Maybe someone hear could shed some light on this so-called Panther sent to Vietnam.

Thanks smile.gif

Well, it is true that the French where given many war-surplus Panthers to bolster their post-war forces --- and many served up to the late '50's. So, I suppose it's possible...

I also heard that there where many ex-SS men serving in the Legion Etrangere in Indochina, and that the Legion was not a group that the Viet Rouge messed with without concequence...

Guest Seimerst

Hmmmm, first I have ever heard of that. But it might be true. The French did leave a lot of stuff behind. I'll ask around some of the multiple tour guys-- in the countless hours of vietnam war stories that I have heard, nobody ever mentioned a Panther-- several Tigers though-- the ones with four feel and a tail vice treads though.

On the Panther I wouldn't know. Sounds quite plausible, but then again Vietnam didn't completely lend itself to armored warfare of most sorts.

To my knowledge the French forces in IndoChina were heavily equipped with American surplus equipment (primarily WWII-era); AFVs, aircraft, artillery, heavy weapons, etc. According to some documentaries that I've watched (my ONLY source on this opinion) the French were HIGHLY encouraged by the Americans at that time in their fight against the Vietnamese nationalists/communists. All in the name of communist containment....

As for the ex-SS unit; were these French nationals that were once SS or were they German SS (or other nationalities for that matter) ?

Sorry if I've taken this a bit too off topic. I just blab on what little I think I know.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 04-27-2000).]

The Germans in question (Not just SS but all branches of the Wehrmacht) were in the Foreign Legion. While I have seen this in several sources, there is an excellent semi-non fictional, (I say "semi" since I doubt everything the author who was the commander of one of the battalions says is true.) account known as "The Devil's Guard". (Can't remember the name or the author but it was something suitably tuetonic.)

Regardless they are excellent reads.

Los

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

As for the ex-SS unit; were these French nationals that were once SS or were they German SS (or other nationalities for that matter) ?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Engagement in Foreign Legion were made (and still are made) on an anonymous basis, that is history is forgotten for the new recruit, and this new recruit is only known and called with a new name. This lay a door open to many soldiers of any nationalities, which in the 50's often means german.

ARn