NEW CMFI AFRIKA SCENARIO WITH MODS - "ESCAPE FROM DERNA" (AN OLD ASL SCENARIO)

A dream of mine to make/remake/alter/appreciate this old ASL scenario "Escape from Derna" for my CMFI Afrika Mod and now it is in the final stages of testing! 

I never even played ASL but this story is pretty cool.

This is the briefing for the axis side:

^
You have 20-25 minutes to block the enemy's escape from Derna and destroy all vehicles that try to flee towards Tobruk!
^
It is midday, 7 April 1941. You are just south of the edge of the escarpment high above the coastal town of Derna, Libya. There is a strong haze in the hot air with the wind barely perceptible over the dry and dusty ground. 
You are leading a small detachment of 2 reinforced motorized infantry platoons split off from Ponath's Machinegun Battalion 8 fighting to secure the Derna aerodrome off map to the west. Some Italian troops have also accompanied you with anti-tank guns and light mortars. The radio reports in code that panzerspahwagens from AA3 are headed your way to assist you. They will arrive at the southwest corner of your sector in 5 minutes. 
^
The Englanders are falling back as we advance. A pocket of these defeated soldiers has formed at Derna. Their only escape route is a meandering road up from the town and then leading southeast towards Tobruk. The luftwaffe reports several dozen vehicles assembling for a breakout. This includes tanks, infantry carriers and trucks. 
^
From Derna, the paved road to Tobruk leads down to the southeast corner of your sector. That is the goal of the British vehicles. Dig in with foxholes and sandbag sangars to set up overlapping kill zones. Spot and destroy the vehicles as they try to escape. Under the honor system, once a British vehicle reaches the southeast corner, they have "escaped" and cannot return to fight and should not be fired upon. 
^
The destruction of enemy vehicles and their crews will give you points. It is the only objective in this battle FOR BOTH SIDES. The vehicles might use the road or cross open country. Some parts of the wadi are impassable but some are passable. Individual infantry troops do not have any points so round them up afterwards to liberate their cans of bully beef and glorious SPAM, trademark 1937 Hormel Food Corporation, USA.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

map is 2km x 2.68km 

Pix to come next week. 

Estimated it will be available by the end of October!

A nice big desert map. 2km wide, 2.68km tall

13sV6Hu.png

Bathing beach in the northeast corner, Army Nurses, nudge nudge say no more wink wink, is she? is she a goer? 😉

zYxyExP.png

The switchback road up from Derna to the Escarpment.

L2HACSs.png

And once up there on the escarpment you head to Tobruk for a cold Foster's Lager but first you gotta cross this old stone bridge across Wadi Derna. 

nD5GYy6.png

Edited by kohlenklau

• 5 weeks later...

I testplayed it H2H against @Vacilllator a few weeks back (Thanks Tim!) and the map needs some work...the switchback road was a nightmare of vehicle pathing psychosis. Once up at the top, the lay needs some minor work to make the battle pay out better. The wadi bridge was also a hassle so I will shift it away so as to not be a problem. The town remnant and bathing beach have also been nixed by the map planning commission folks. 

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What's the issue with the roads (& other bits)? 

Happy to discuss via PM if there's anything I might help with.

PS - Would it be possible to port this map to CM:SF2.....I could have a lot of fun with it! 

the road winds up from the coast and I went overboard 

I have no idea on the map translation stuff