[scenario] Panic in Mahmudiyah

---------------------------------------------------------

Panic in Mahmudiyah

----------------------------------------------------------

1LrZMmX.png

VXAHsB4.png

Description :

This is a small scale urban scenario with a low unit density taking place during the year 2005 in Iraq . You get to play a local cell of AQI insurgents fighters launching a car bomb attack on an Iraqi manned checkpoint followed by an assault on the town.

Mission length : 50 minutes

Map size : 600 X 650 m

6bQdhcZ.png

There are 5 AI plans : a main plan and four variants, each one with minor differences and a semi randomized unit placement.

Play as Red attacker only.

Extract from the briefing :

Traditionally a Sunni stronghold, Mahmudiyah, located only 20 km south of Baghdad inside what the coalition dubbed the Triangle of death, belongs to the belts of towns around the capital that both the US forces and insurgents tried to control.

Its importance lies in the fact that it was used as a support zone for insurgents both Sunni and Shi'a alike where fighters could regroup, weapons get stored and attacks planned on Baghdad. Vital for securing communications and logistics, these towns served as staging points and were heavily contested.

During the 2005 pre-election period, Al Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) intensified its terror campaign to further destabilize the country and set in motion a sectarian civil war. Often using car bombs these attacks were usually focused on the civilian population or Iraqi security forces rather than the coalition.

Install :

Make sure your game is patched to version 2.04 and you have the British module, then extract in : documents/battlefront/Shock Force 2/game files/scenarios

or for a Steam install : steam root folder/battlefront/Shock Force 2/game files/scenarios

Download :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ht4j828cu9dmzqp/Panic in Mahmudiyah.rar?dl=0

Have fun.

Oh yeah you guys might want to save one turn before you start the actual VBIED attack. I have tested this pretty thoroughly and I must have conducted close to a hundred virtual car bomb attacks (hello nsa) and I have stacked the odds in favour of the VBIED so it succeeds most of the time. But still it is not a 100% thing. And if the attack fails, the rest of the scenario gets a lot harder. So it is perfectly acceptable to save and reload at that particular moment unless you're really hardcore about it.

19 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Don't know if you are aware, but VBIEDs can sometimes be triggered by passing too close to enemy casualties!  :rolleyes:

No I didn't know it could do that! But during testing I usually let the VBIED do its thing and only launched the attack after the blast, taking advantage of the ensuing chaos and suppression so there weren't any bodies lying around when it detonated. That's not the only way to do it though.

16 hours ago, Erwin said:

Very nice, Zveroboy.  Thank you.

Sure thing. Feel free to let me know if it is too difficult or if there is anything obvious that I missed or that I should change. I can't guarantee I will listen to all the suggestions because I have a pretty good idea in mind of what type of action I want this to be.

It is meant to be a bit frantic and without spoiling too much, I'll just say that you can't really tackle this like you would normally tackle a regular urban fighting and simply pull out your MOUT manual and do it all by the book. I'd like to say more but I think it is perhaps better if I let people figure it out alone for now.

Edited by Zveroboy1

• 8 months later...

Nice, glad you had fun.

Did you manage to kill the JAM leader too? That last part is probably a bit tricky to achieve, at least on your first try because you can't really use the usual cautious tactics and you need to take a bit more risks that you would normally be comfortable with in a traditional scenario.

On 5/17/2022 at 11:41 AM, Zveroboy1 said:

Nice, glad you had fun.

Did you manage to kill the JAM leader too? That last part is probably a bit tricky to achieve, at least on your first try because you can't really use the usual cautious tactics and you need to take a bit more risks that you would normally be comfortable with in a traditional scenario.

Yes by an RPG shot from another building. The most difficult part was to destroy the police station.

I think the key thing here is that you can't afford a engage in a prolonged firefight. You can't just exchange fire with the defenders until they are all dead because there is not enough time for that and also you simply don't have enough ammunition anyway for a conventional by the book attack. So in my experience it hinges on the use of RPGs. It is important not to waste them and for that you need to open fire at close range since you only have green troops available and otherwise they will miss too often and waste your main asset.

• 4 months later...