Reinforcements for destroyed units in campaigns?

How exactly are reinforcements for entirely destroyed units handled in campaigns? I know if you get a lucky dice roll on a squad with even one soldier left alive in it it will be brought back to full strength, but if a squad is entirely destroyed can it still be brought back to full strength if it gets that same lucky dice roll or is it gone for good?

22 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Reinforcements, replacements and ammo resupply between campaign missions are % based parameters that are set by the designer in the editor when he designed the campaign.

I know that, but isn't it a percentage chance that a unit will get replacements up to full strength? i.e. if you have a 25% chance of replacements and four under-strength squads, statistically 1/4 will return to full strength while the other 3/4ths get nothing? That's what I remember reading in a different thread, at least. I was wondering if a completely destroyed squad still had a chance of getting replacements or not.

If replacements are set to 100% then 100% of your squads (and vehicles) will return for the next mission at 100% strength.  Can't recall if the squad's commander's name will be the same.   

I can't recall exactly what happens if replacements are set to a lower %.  My recollection from playing the game is that everyone gets something and one does not end up up with a few full strength units and a bunch of beat up ones.  I suspect that each unit gets something in rotation, and after all units have received something, if there are replacements still available, the rotation starts over again.  IIRC that is also true for ammo resupply.

Hope that helps...

6 minutes ago, Erwin said:

If replacements are set to 100% then 100% of your squads (and vehicles) will return for the next mission at 100% strength.  Can't recall if the squad's commander's name will be the same.   

Yeah, 100% makes sense, I would expect it to bring every unit you have up to full strength, I'm just not sure what any of the values under 100% actually entail, if it's a percentage chance of a unit getting replacements up to full strength, or a percentage chance of your entire force getting some level of replacements or what. Looking through old forum posts I see quite a few threads with the same question and haven't found a definitive answer so it seems like it's one of those black magic values that nobody is quite sure what it does. Maybe I'll make an excel spreadsheet of my units and see how they get replacements and how many they get and see if I can figure it out.

I asked this recently, but didn't get a response.

It used to be a percentage die roll for each unit - if this was set to 50%, then there would be a 50% chance it was restored fully, or not at all, and this die roll would be made per thing.

With Engine 4, there was a patchnote about this being shared or evened out somehow, but exactly how that works is not clear.

5 hours ago, domfluff said:

With Engine 4, there was a patchnote about this being shared or evened out somehow, but exactly how that works is not clear.

Yes, it's all rather vague and it's very hard to keep up with all the myriad changes that have occurred with all the updates and patches.  That's one reason I'd like a clean start with CM3.

On 8/22/2021 at 12:13 AM, Codreanu said:

How exactly are reinforcements for entirely destroyed units handled in campaigns? I know if you get a lucky dice roll on a squad with even one soldier left alive in it it will be brought back to full strength, but if a squad is entirely destroyed can it still be brought back to full strength if it gets that same lucky dice roll or is it gone for good?

There's a thread covering this and more. Might set you off in the correct direction.

re your question (been a while since I tested all this but what i use to work out % for campaign scripts)  is the percentage chance in all categories is for each individual soldier or weapon. There is a great deal of discussion around some tests done, and its all down to a cyber 'coin toss' with the % bar set by the designer in the script at which refit/resupply etc happens. which does introduce a great deal of variability (e.g. player could be lucky and keep throwing 'double sixes' and get over the % bar on successive throws as it were or unlucky and 'double ones' or anything inbetween some of which might take them over the bar or not!

41 minutes ago, George MC said:

There's a thread covering this and more. Might set you off in the correct direction.

re your question (been a while since I tested all this but what i use to work out % for campaign scripts)  is the percentage chance in all categories is for each individual soldier or weapon. There is a great deal of discussion around some tests done, and its all down to a cyber 'coin toss' with the % bar set by the designer in the script at which refit/resupply etc happens. which does introduce a great deal of variability (e.g. player could be lucky and keep throwing 'double sixes' and get over the % bar on successive throws as it were or unlucky and 'double ones' or anything inbetween some of which might take them over the bar or not!

That was a pretty interesting read, thanks! I'm impressed that it's a roll per soldier and not per unit, really adds in a lot of potential variety to your replacements.

12 hours ago, Codreanu said:

That was a pretty interesting read, thanks! I'm impressed that it's a roll per soldier and not per unit, really adds in a lot of potential variety to your replacements.

My pleasure - and I think that's why its such a challenging thing to pin down as there is great deal of variability. But agree it does add a lot of possible outcomes (one aspect which makes testing this in campaigns so challenging is several of your testers get 'good dice rolls' at critical junctures and so all seems well, till the campaign is released into the wild and then someone playing has negative 'luck' at the same juncture with resultant negative impact.