US Campaign, 1982. On to the second mission!

12 hours ago, The_Capt said:

You are very welcome and thanks for the feedback.  So in the US Campaign there were two more mission after Marborn.  If you don’t want to try and replay that fight, those missions are “The Citadel” and “Unhook the Leash” as stand alone scenarios. The Citadel was really the climax fight for the Bn just north of Hanau.  Really glad you enjoyed the campaign.

Interesting!  Ok, I can definitely go back and try Marborn again with a different approach.  I keep saves at the beginning of every battle!

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

I would recommend taking on The Citadel as a standalone now. It's quite a struggle, and a challenge to get your US forces to where they need to be the most (and keep them alive). I had fun with that one in play testing.

Dave

Ha!  Now I can't decide if I am going to play these two solo or go back into the campaign and try for a different result!  I honestly want to try the 1979 version too.

11 minutes ago, Phantom Captain said:

Ha!  Now I can't decide if I am going to play these two solo or go back into the campaign and try for a different result!  I honestly want to try the 1979 version too.

If you try it again in your current campaign your losses will carry forward to the Citadel.  If you play the scenario you get 100% of the Bn, so there is a slight difference.  1979 is interesting, we built is as a "sure why not?" just to see.  Turned out it was a lot of work to do a parallel campaign and from the feedback 1979 is almost an entirely different experience as the technology is quite different (M48s vs M60s vs T62s).  

1 hour ago, The_Capt said:

If you try it again in your current campaign your losses will carry forward to the Citadel.  If you play the scenario you get 100% of the Bn, so there is a slight difference.  1979 is interesting, we built is as a "sure why not?" just to see.  Turned out it was a lot of work to do a parallel campaign and from the feedback 1979 is almost an entirely different experience as the technology is quite different (M48s vs M60s vs T62s).  

That's exactly why I want to try 79.  I really want to see how the older equipment matches up.  

I just loaded up the citadel and I MUST play it.  It's looks dauntingly huge but I think I can manage, I just really need to divide up my three companies in my head and play them individually.  The map is incredible.  I am surprised that some of the tanks get lines of sight out of the woods from where they are placed.  Sometimes I am hesitant to put tanks in the woods, for one the mobility problems and two, I am always thinking they won't have lines of sight to anything.  I think I underestimate what they actually can see.

Anyway, I think I'll play it standalone and use the full BN!  

Edited by Phantom Captain

5 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

I play tested the '79 campaign. It's a whole different experience with all the older equipment. Can't go wrong either way 🙂 

One note about "The Citadel"  On my laptop, moving the camera around the battlefield to adjust my initial dispositions got pretty boggy, because the setup zone is huge. Once game play starts, the camera reacts much better, so don't be discouraged if you have any issues during the setup turn. May not be an issue if your computer is better than mine.

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

13 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

I play tested the '79 campaign. It's a whole different experience with all the older equipment. Can't go wrong either way 🙂 

One note about "The Citadel"  On my laptop, moving the camera around the battlefield to adjust my initial dispositions got pretty boggy, because the setup zone is huge. Once game play starts, the camera reacts much better, so don't be discouraged if you have any issues during the setup turn. May not be an issue if your computer is better than mine.

Dave

I just bought a new desktop two weeks ago precisely because my old one crashed and my laptop wouldn't even process the third battle of the US campaign.  It would lag out and crash during setup.  Now I have ZERO issues, everything set on high and my new computer does these large battles without blinking!  Ha!

3 hours ago, Phantom Captain said:

I just bought a new desktop two weeks ago precisely because my old one crashed and my laptop wouldn't even process the third battle of the US campaign.  It would lag out and crash during setup.  Now I have ZERO issues, everything set on high and my new computer does these large battles without blinking!  Ha!

Priorities.  👍

• 2 months later...

Marborn was my run ender too, I thought I had found the most amazing spot to stick my M60A2 platoon and was just gonna wipe the Soviets off of the map, unfortunately the Soviets thought what an amazing spot it was too and stationed BMPs and ATGM carriers all over to watch it. Kudos to anyone who managed to beat it their first try, or maybe they just had a lot more of their core forces left than me. Overall a really good campaign, maybe a little bit on the tough side, which considering the setting makes sense, but still good fun. Will definitely play the last 2 missions standalone and the '79 version too.

1 hour ago, Codreanu said:

Marborn was my run ender too, I thought I had found the most amazing spot to stick my M60A2 platoon and was just gonna wipe the Soviets off of the map, unfortunately the Soviets thought what an amazing spot it was too and stationed BMPs and ATGM carriers all over to watch it. Kudos to anyone who managed to beat it their first try, or maybe they just had a lot more of their core forces left than me. Overall a really good campaign, maybe a little bit on the tough side, which considering the setting makes sense, but still good fun. Will definitely play the last 2 missions standalone and the '79 version too.

Haha!  So it goes...  

I still have yet to play the Citadel standalone mission.  I keep putting it off as a treat for sometime soon.  Plus I really want to get into the Soviet campaign now, but that first mission, whew.  That one puts you right back on your heels!  Ha!

I really enjoyed the campaign even ending where I did.  It all just felt "right".  I do think it should be difficult for the US to pull off and it sure felt it as it went on!  CW is awesome.