Tanks procreating? Bad airdrop? Can't drive standard?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by killmore:

Did you recognized the version of the tank? Or something else?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm....

Well from a quik glance, this accident looks like it happened at FT Knox, or some other training ground for CDATS.

It was definately not at NTC, JRTC, or Hohenfels. The 3 US Army major training areas.

I make that assupmtion because there is no gear hanging off the tanks, the troops aren't wearing "MILES" gear(laser engagement)

and the tanks do not have MILES gear.

This is all standard equipment for major training exercises.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

Those sorta look like the British MBT (can't recall name now). I"M no expert but ar eyou sure those are American?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Collin...

Look at the protective mask.(gas mask)

Look at the "CAT EYES" on the back of the helmet.

Look at the tankers communication helmet.

I dont think this is a British PIC.

As far as the tank model. It looks like the standard M1A1 heavey to me.

------------------

Better to make the wrong decision than be the sorry son of a bitch to scared to make one at all

I have scene pics from WWII (Russian front) of similiar "accidents". One in which a StuG rammed a T34 that was creating hell during a battle, it seems that was the only way to stop the Russian. The text mentioned that the Russian commander got his legs chopped off when the heavy hatch fell on him.

Both do look like standard M1A1s to me as well. It could have happened down in Ft Hood TX.

MikeT

That is an M1A1 Main Battle tank - you can tell by the 120mm main gun (notice the enlarged size of the bore evacuator). It indeed does have the Miles gear on - notice the hoffman device attatched to the barrel of the rear tank, and the yellow 'kill light' on the left (right actually) side of the turret - also, the GI with the gasmask has his miles harness on. Army training grounds all tend to look the same - but more than likely this is in Hoenfels, Germany, due to the vegitation (NTC tends to be alot more barren). If you notice the 'bottom' tank - it has its turret over the rear deck, but the tank on top does not. This indicates the bottom tank was already killed. More than likely, the top tank was reacting to whatever killed the bottom tank, and backed right up and over it in the heat of the battle.

Can you tell I spent 8 years in the US Army? smile.gif For the record, I was Cavalry, and had nothing to do with those 'slobs' known as tankers... wink.gif

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

I guarantee they are American M1A1 or A2s. They are not British Challengers. And you all call yourselves 'Grognards'? rolleyes.gif

The uniforms that the infantry are wearing are nothing like what the British wear.

Looks like to me that the rear tank just got a little frisky and decided to get him some.

biggrin.gif

I can't believe that there was discussion on what type of tanks those were. eek.gif

------------------

"I am not interested in the names of your fathers...nor of your family's lineage. What I am interested in...is your breaking point!"--Gen. Chang

For the record. This is a M1A1. You can tell because of the larger bore evacuator on the 120mm smooth bore. The M1 and M1IP variants had 105mm canons with smaller bore evacuators. These troops are a mix of recovery personal, tankers and possibly infantry .. looky loo's. The back tank has miles equipment and one troop in the middle does also.

As far as location I would put money on this being on the tank trail from Ft Hunter Ligget to Camp Roberts .. AND .. these are National Guard Troops. Regular Army tankers wear nomex and these tankers are not! However, National Guard currently wear nomex, but only were issued them in the past couple years. The grey dusty road is an exact match for Hunter Ligget dust. Those appear to be California trees and landscape, and Lake San Antonio would be off to the left.

This is not really Compassion, but his neighbor a few cubes down the hall.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slazzari:

That is an M1A1 Main Battle tank - you can tell by the 120mm main gun (notice the enlarged size of the bore evacuator). It indeed does have the Miles gear on - notice the hoffman device attatched to the barrel of the rear tank, and the yellow 'kill light' on the left (right actually) side of the turret - also, the GI with the gasmask has his miles harness on. Army training grounds all tend to look the same - but more than likely this is in Hoenfels, Germany, due to the vegitation (NTC tends to be alot more barren). If you notice the 'bottom' tank - it has its turret over the rear deck, but the tank on top does not. This indicates the bottom tank was already killed. More than likely, the top tank was reacting to whatever killed the bottom tank, and backed right up and over it in the heat of the battle.

wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at the number marking panels on the side of the turret. This may very well be Hohenfels.

Taking a second look...your right, the hoffmans are there...and that one tanker is wearring his MILES harness.

One out of the whole crowd......tankers were never known for wearing thier MILES smile.gif

Then again, mechanics have always been worse smile.gif

------------------

Cat eyes are small glow in the dark strips on the back of the camo band the Army wears around thier kevlar helmets, so troops behind them dont get lost in the dark while they are on patrol. You can only see them to about 10 meters, so the enemy spotting you isn't a problem.

Most tankers dont bother with thier nomex while on maneuvers - it gets way too hot. I used to catch all kinds of hell for not wearing it in the Bradley.

Its doubtful these are guard toops -Miles gear takes a full day to issue, put on, and boresight - too long for a weekend drill, and most guard units do livefire during thier 2 week rotation - but who knows. The protective mask that one guy is wearing is an M40 - most guard units havent gotten those yet, however. I wish there were a website to go along with this, for more info. Regardless, its a great picture!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slazzari:

Most tankers dont bother with thier nomex while on maneuvers - it gets way too hot. I used to catch all kinds of hell for not wearing it in the Bradley.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I asked my cubbie who wrote the nomex bit... HE saw the reply and said "Well, his first mistake is that he's in a Bradley and isn't a real tanker wink.gif." He's also pretty sure that the regualr army tankers he saw were wearing their nomex... Bigger deal perhaps?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Its doubtful these are guard toops -Miles gear takes a full day to issue, put on, and boresight - too long for a weekend drill, and most guard units do livefire during thier 2 week rotation - but who knows. The protective mask that one guy is wearing is an M40 - most guard units havent gotten those yet, however<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He went on to say that even when he was in the guard up until a year ago, he had an M40 and his unit did participate in live fire excercises. SO we are back to that pic coming from anywhere. His big thing was that he could have sworn that he had been over... and over... and over that curve, but who knows?

It is a nice shot, though.

[This message has been edited by Compassion (edited 04-07-2000).]

My guard unit (two years ago, admittedly), was slated to get the M40's this year. We had some demo units in, and those things were huge and heavy - thank god I never had to carry one (I had the m17 while on active duty).

If you look carefully at the photo, the unit markings on the tanks have purposefully been edited out, so who knows what unit this is. Wherever this came from, thats one hell of a good photo!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Well, his first mistake is that he's in a Bradley and isn't a real tanker ."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, thats funny. Tankers and Cavalry have this rivalry thing going....

Just an attempt to clear this up:

These are M1A1's of the US Army or National Guard. (I drove a M1A1 for about 6 years) I've talked to other soldiers here who have been in both Ft Hood Texas and Germany. The area appears to be Fort Hood. The vehicles are tan, most, if not all, of the tanks in Germany are camo. It's a fairly recent picture, as the upper tank has an APU (auxillary power unit) on it's bustle rack. They both appear to be outfitted with MILES equipment as is at least one soldier. My National Guard unit had Nomex suits issued in 1992 with our M1A1's, I thought they were mandatory. I don't see and obvious Nomex suits ( one soldier appears to have on the mechanics coveralls though) or 'tanker' boots. My guess is all these soldiers are mechanics and/or crew of a nearby( note the cable being attached to the lower tank) M88A1.( that would explain the CVC helmets without Nomex suits ) My guess is all the tankers were too embarressed to be in the picture. :)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wotan:

Just an attempt to clear this up:

The area appears to be Fort Hood. The vehicles are tan, most, if not all, of the tanks in Germany are camo. It's a fairly recent picture, as the upper tank has an APU (auxillary power unit) on it's bustle rack.

smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at the side panel marking numbers.

Do they use these at FT Hood?

I've never been stationed at FT Hood.

But I can tell you I have 7 rotations at Hohenfels. smile.gif And, these are common on the OPFOR vehicles.

------------------

Hmmm,

Do they have tan painted M1A1's in Germany?

I've never been there, so I can't say. I've had 2 friends look at this picture. One says it's Ft Hood, the other says it's Germany.

------------------

"Driver move out, Gunner take over"