Red Hordes Scenario

Hi all! Im playing the Red Hordes Scenario (just testing a few things out) as the Soviets and cannot access the Off Board 122mm Arty.  I have clicked on every unit on the map (tanks and infantry) and on all of them the arty reads "Denied".  I am still in the deployment phase and have even tried getting guys off the tanks to call it in.  In the game manual, it simply states Denied is typically when the HQ is not high enough level (platoon guy trying to call in Regimental arty).  Normally, I would have just assumed it was waiting for another higher level HQ person to show up but I played this same scenario as the Germans and the Soviets called that arty in on turn 1 so I know it has to be possible. 

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Curtis

This did crop up many years back. The Regimental HQ is also denied access to the arty. My solution was to go into the Scenario Editor and add a FO for the Russians, then save the game under a new name. By co-incidence I'm actually playing it again currently. 

Edited by Warts 'n' all

Awesome!  Good idea...will do for next time.  Here is a follow up question for that scenario.  SLIGHT SPOILER if you are going to play this scenario:

I have looked in the editor and it reads that the Soviet off board arty (the 122s) are in reserve.  For "Earliest Possible Arrival" it reads 3:00 (exact).  Does that mean 3 hours into the scenario?  All the other options read 5 Min or 20 Min and I have noticed that we are getting the reserves in after that amount of time.  If its 3 hours into the scenario, Im not sure how that works since the scenario is only 1:20 long.  Since the scenario is only 1:20 long does this mean that they wont get the arty?   Just wanted to make sure I was reading that right.

Thanks again!!

That hack is used when you don’t want a unit to actually show up during the game but you need subordinate units which you can’t select in the editor without taking the higher HQ. Like when you want two platoons from the same company but don’t need/want the CO. So with this hack it will never show up until the scenario is over.  Not sure why it would be applied to the arty if it’s not going to be used anyway?!?!

On 7/6/2021 at 9:12 PM, mjkerner said:

you should be able to call in the set up phase, but I never do that

Sorry a bit late on this one, but this caught my eye as I sometimes feel rather inept on the artillery front.  I also hardly ever call on setup, but I was thinking it was mainly forgetfulness on my part.  Your comment seems to be more reasoned, so I imagine you wait to see what's going on before calling?  An answer to that might be to call and then adjust, if you have the time to adjust?