Favorite Tanks

Guest teutonic

For the Germans I would have to say The Panther G. Also the Puma(I know armored car, But it Looks great smile.gif ). Can't forget that Prototype that went by the designator of MAUS(1 128mm 1 75mm KwK44 and armor up the wazoo ).

French: Somua S-35

Italians: Cadro Pesante P26/40

Russians: JSII

Teutonic

There is no reason or justification for it. No way to explain myself. Am I sick? Someone PLEASE help me...

YES, I LOVE THE CROMWELL TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!

There I said it and I feel much better. At 15 I scratchbuilt three 1/76th scale Cromwells from plasticard because no company would produce a model of this beautiful British late war MBT. One has a 95mm howitzer. They fought and regularly died on the miniature battlefield until finally they retired to a place of honour on my bookshelf. Each bulbous rivet on their sexy angular turret was lovingly teased into place...ohhh the agony and the ecstasy...

Then I scaled up the plans to 1/35th and I was ready! But then, ahhh....You probably guess the rest. Tamiya, Tamiya, why did we have to wait soooo long....

1) U.S. -- M36 Jackson / Slugger -- I didn't know or care too much about until I read a book that referred to it as the "Slugger", then I realized any TD with a name that corny has got to be good.

2) German -- Tiger

3) English -- Firefly

4) Soviet -- T34 -- beautiful.

For the Axis:

Tiger I - cuz it's big and ugly

...or (if TD's are included)

JagPanther - cuz it's sleek and sexy

For the Allies:

M5A1 Stuart - i've always liked these little guys long before I knew the diference between a light and heavy tank (back when i was drawing tanks on my grade school desk)

Geez, all I hear is Stuart, Stuart, Stuart. Have I missed something about those little sardine cans in my wargaming life (certainly not as long as that of some other board members, I admit)? I've never been able to keep Stuarts alive for longer than a few minutes on the battlefield and would trade all of them for a nice Easy Eight anytime. smile.gif

'Twas in the Philippines where they learned about the rivets in the Stuarts. The Jap 37mm turned the rivets into not-so-little internal made-in-USA bullets. They started welding them right away.

If it wasn't for the Haunted Tank comic the Stuart would be about as popular hereabouts as PzII.

I suppose a "Custer" tank would have been a PR disaster- pity. Like getting crews to man a "Jonas" class sub.

US: M4A1 (76mm) -or- T30 Heavy tank

De: Tiger Ie (mid)-or- Tiger Ie (mid)

UK: Centurion -or- A39 Tortoise

USSR: KV-Ic -or- IS-3 -or- T-44

Fr: H-35 -or- Char B1

Hard choices to make, so I included an alternate or two.

I just couldn't bring myself to comment on the Japanese tanks.

Zamo

Lets see my favorite tanks,

US - M4A3E8 "Expedient Jumbo" with 2" of armor welded over the front glacias and an extra 1.5" welded to the turret front sides. A more common sight in 1945 than you would think.

German - Panther ausf. G or maybe the Jagdpanther

USSR - KV-2, got to love that enormous turret jutting way up in the air.

Japanese - none even worth mentioning

Italians - again none worth mention

dano6

Humm lets see

German: The Maus...... Only 12 made 4 used in combat, Got to love the german sence of humor.

US: M-18 Hellcat Big-Gun, Big Horsepower 0-35mph in 8 sec, Its a all american toy.

British: Sucked

French: Sucked

Russian: T34/76

Japan: Toyota supra smile.gif

Guest John Pender

German: PzKfw IVh (old reliable work horse).

American: Stuart (from the old Avalon Hill TOBRUK days I guess).

British: Matilda (first AFV model I ever built, tough nut to crack in her day).

Soviet: T34/76 (From the old Squad Leader days)

Italian: M 13/40 (the self propelled coffin)

French: Somua S-35 (another fun one from Squad leader days).

Tiger - Any variation 'xept king, hard to say why, I really think Panther's

the better one but...

It disturbed me to see them in CC2, made of cardboard. Just tried 'em the

other day, and didn't those pesky Stuarts blow them up with head-on shots. frown.gif

Cromwell - beuty in ugliness, how zen! smile.gif

Daimler - although not a tank, it's still neat wink.gif

Umm, Archer IIRC.

Actually a pretty damned smart design since it was a total hit and run vehicle and its only hope of survival was to fire 1 shot and run..

Moving forward is quicker than reversing so some screwball decided to mount the gun backwards wink.gif.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

I'm not sure it was intentional that they mounted it backwards. Didn't they mount it backwards to prevent the vehicle from being nose heavy? Ingenuity born of necessity.

The Germans encountered this problem, notably with the JagdPanzer IV/70.

Jason

Nose heaviness can be gotten around with a little counter-weighting etc...

I really doubt that was the main reason although it might have fed into the design discussions.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers