visual distinction Marder 1a5

Hello everyone,
since the Marder IFV had it's 50th anniversary last week I wanted to point out some minor visual details regarding the differences between the 1a3 and 1a5 model. Currently both models look similar in game. Code-wise the 1a5 has its improved mine protection working though.

So if you take a closer look at the attached images the 1a5 model should have:

• new armored skirts
  • three metal boxes, one on the front and two on the backside
  • new MLC, 42 instead of 37

kind regards

marder1a5.jpg

schutzenpanzer_marder_1_a5_thumb_1500x1500.jpg

marder_1a_5_01_of_53.jpg

marder_1a_5_14_of_53.jpg

marder_1a_5_08_of_53.jpg

marder_1a_5_29_of_53.jpg

picture sources:

http://www.primeportal.net/apc/hans-hermann_buhling/marder_1a_5/index.php?Page=1

http://www.d13pfad.de/media/medialibrary/2012/05/schutzenpanzer_marder_1_a5_thumb_1500x1500.jpg

Edited by Beetz

I just went through Janes AFV 2004-2005 and 2008-2009.  Both show several pictures of the 1A5 with the box on the front.  Does that make it absolutely definitive?  No.  But its close.  Its the exact time period of CMSF (2008).  There were a total of four pics of the 1A5 and all had the box.  None of the 1A3s had them.  I have a couple more references I'll check.

btw, I have no issues with it.  Its so minor I'm surprised it even got a mention.

edit:  Just confirmed that Tankograd's 2007 book on the Marder also shows at least a dozen pics with the glacis-mounted stowage box.  In fact, in the description of the 1A5, they use that box and one on the back hull as the main recognizable external differences between the A3 and A5.  btw, it always kinda shocks me only about 4% of the Marders were ever upgraded to 1A5.

Edited by Thewood1

3 hours ago, Combatintman said:

AFVs will frequently have variations on small stowage boxes such as these depending on the whim of the crews or individual regimental policy.

As an additional explanation for the appearence of the boxes, I think they were introduced because of a redesign of the backside interior that came with the 1a5 model. So some of the equipment had to be stored outside.

2 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

btw, it always kinda shocks me only about 4% of the Marders were ever upgraded to 1A5.

good point. it also makes me wonder about the standard rarity rating given in the unit selection screen.

Edited by Beetz

3 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

btw, I have no issues with it.  Its so minor I'm surprised it even got a mention.

yeah, it's really minor and I'm already very happy with combat missions high fidelity as is.

Nice sources btw

Edited by Beetz