Light Mortars in WW2

Commonwealth 2" in WW2 is direct-lay only, as is the Italian Brixia. The similar British mortar in CMSF can be fired indirectly.

60mm mortars can be used effectively in either role, and are intended to do both. Larger mortars are intended to be indirect assets, for the most part.

1 hour ago, domfluff said:

Commonwealth 2" in WW2 is direct-lay only, as is the Italian Brixia. The similar British mortar in CMSF can be fired indirectly.

60mm mortars can be used effectively in either role, and are intended to do both. Larger mortars are intended to be indirect assets, for the most part.

Although in my view the 51mm mortar shouldn't be fired using the indirect fire dialogue.

36 minutes ago, domfluff said:

Yes, that does seem odd to me. I assume that's not doctrinal?

Absolutely not - I suspect the 51mm mortar is just the old 2" mortar changed to metric.  Use and employment is unchanged - sighting is by eye and aiming is by hand - not like you can add 50 and drop 100 in response to a FOO who would be calling guns over the gunner net.

Thanks so much for the response.   While I understand that some  "light" mortars like the US 60MM could be used in an indirect fire mode, how were they normally tactically deployed?  For example were radios part of their TOE?  If not then the normal tactical use of these "light" mortars would have been to direct lay them by team LOS?   Is this the consensus?

Russian's I believe also used the RM-38 50MM throughout WW2...  Anyone have knowledge of how this weapon was normally deployed?  Did it's TOE include radios?

And when I'm asking these questions I understand that in a prepared defense they would probably all have wired comms and pre-registered targets but I'm primarily interested in how they would have been used 75% of the time in day to day operations