"Cannot open installer file as archive"

Bimmer

37 minutes ago, Bimmer said:

Getting the message above when I try to open the downloaded file. Tried 7zip and WinRAR to open with the same result. I've downloaded twice to ensure the file isn't corrupted. Running Windows 7. Any suggestions of how to proceed would be appreciated.

Actually, I think that you are trying to open the setup file with winrar. I guess you already extracted it? Because that what's the message says, you can't open a file of 'installer' type as an 'archive', or in other words winrar expects a .rar but you are trying to open the installer as an archive.

6 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

You can download this one from the Microsoft Store. WinRAR wanted money last time I tried to use it. The App from the Microsoft store did the job just fine.

winrar.jpg

fyi - Winrar always asks you to buy a license, but you can just ignore it. 

3 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

Hi, I think it's working now - I got the latest 7-zip from 7zip.org - version 19 for win 64.  I installed that separately from the previous 7zip.

if 7zip doesnt work, use Winrar.

48 minutes ago, JulianJ said:

Mission Accomplished!  The lesson is that for some reason you need the latest extracting software.

Good. Updating almost always works if re-downloading doesn't fix things 😉

1 hour ago, JulianJ said:

I'm having the same problem. I'm sorry @Lethaface your instructions don't make any sense to me. Using 7zip I've tried right clicking, extract archive and open archive. Nothing works and also downloaded Express Zip file (which also does RARS).

Yeah I think I misread the error message. In the past I have used winzip like software which opens archives like a directory structure in explorer, so it would be confusing whether you're actually in the archive or the extracted folder. I thought that might be an explanation for the error message if updating didn't fix it.

Edited by Lethaface

54 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

What is wrong if the Microsoft Store's App works? It is free and no need to ignore anything. 

nothing probably, but nothing wrong with Winrar either. A mouseclick is free so the add isn't an issue, I've been using it for over a decade if not two and never got a license lol.

1 minute ago, Lethaface said:

but nothing wrong with Winrar either.

I had Winrar the moment RT and Fire and Rubble arrived the message popup that the trial period had ended. Took their word for it and downloaded the Window App which worked just fine. Kind regards.