Sniper takes out Sherman-how?!

Recently, I was playing Americans in Riesberg and was doing very well. Then, that German sharpshooter started firing at one of my tanks. Then, I heard a CLANK! and I saw the TC of the targeted one button up.

I checked the status screen and it showed that everyone was fine, but the beast was immobilized. I checked, and no AT weapon fired. I doubt it got bogged down since the ground was good. Won the scenario, but sure could've used that thing...

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

Yeah,I thought about the driver, but everyone in the crew was OK according to the status screen! Weird!

I think the sniper takes too much time with his shots-have same problem as archangel sometimes.

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

I dunno what happened to that Sherman, but I don't think it was a bug. The "clank" is a sound that means something hit the tank, and we aren't talking an 8mm rifle round either wink.gif

Sharpshooters take time to select, aim, and shoot at their targets. This is as realistic as can be. Remember that one turn is only 60 seconds. You might be reducing the chance of a shot being cracked off if you keep switching targets. Best thing to do is select one target and let the Sharpshooter do his thing.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm still not sure that even if it was an AT weapon, why nothing displayed it and why there wasn't a larger CLANK!, but hey, who knows?

I understand about the sniper. I just let him pick his own targets now.

------------------

Guest Babra

I've had the sharpshooter take MANY turns lined up on one target. He usually gets blown away before ever firing a shot.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

I find the sharpshooter is very effective if you just let him do his thing. Site him someplace with good LOS, and let him pick his own targets - he usually fires every couple turns. Generally, he can make all the AI's tanks button by himself.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

Guest BillWood

Last night I had a Sherman KO'd by a hand grenade in Chance Encounter. It was bogged near the woods when it happened.

I heard that clunk sound, played the trun back and saw a SMG squad toss a grenade that landed squarely under my tank. Boom! Clunk!

Has anyone had an artilery round kill a tank? I had a tank take two direct hits and no damage.

When looking for mysterious kills of enemy units I check the Kill Info for my units. I can at least identify the unit responsible - if they survived the turn as an onboard item.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I had a Sherman's main gun taken out by a sniper rifle<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, find it a little weird confused.gif

During the turn I'm sure there was no AT gun nor panzerfaust firing. The same shot also took one crewman. Any advice ?

Magnus

Sosaboski,

If the enemy AT gun was UNSPOTTED at the time then odds are ALL you will hear is a clank when it's shell hits the tank. Anything other would kinda rip the FOW away don't you think?

BillWood,

What you saw was a graphical representation of a close assault.

In a current PBEM game with another beta tester I immobilised one of his Shermans which was hunkered down in the middle of a village I was shelling wink.gif. Today I lost a Nashorn to a 60mm mortar round which landed in the middle of the crew compartment.

Jason,

I doubt it was a sniper rifle. I'm sure something else fired on the tank at the same time.. E.g. in the same PBEM game as above one of my tanks had its main gun damaged by one of my shells which landed short.

Fionn,

Yes, that would be possible. However, I was playing a hotseat game and next turn my opponent said he found NO, I say again, NO kills for any AT team.

Oh well, if the aim's real good and the bullet is specially designed, would it be able to cut the track in half? wink.gif

------------------

I had a rather cool little event in LD while back. Playing as the Germans, about turn 25...a Stug was next to the buildings on the left side as you enter the village (from the German view point)...The Stug was putting some heavy fire on a few US MG's nearby when a rifle squad attacked the Stug all by themselves. They ran up to the side, around to the front and stood at the end of the tube. They made some motions at the tube then scurried away. cool.gif Shortly later the tube was un-usable.(no explosions or other event's were seen)

Having been an Infantryman in combat, I assumed that they put a grenade or two down

the tube which is something the US Infantry (at least use to be) is taught to do when the situation is somewhere between difficult and desperate.

I cheered for the effort this squad made biggrin.gif and for the AI that had such programming. cool.gif

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 03-05-2000).]

Sos,

Of course there was no kill to an AT unit. The AT unit didn't KILL the tank. It simply hit the tracks with a shell and IMMOBILISED IT./

The crew got scared and abandoned the tank. In CM there are several ways to take out a tank wink.gif. Scaring the **** out of the crew with a few hits on the hull can sometimes result in a green crew bailing out of a KT which you simply couldn't kill otherwise wink.gif

Guest Babra

The shot came from the second storey of the book depository. However, had you looked, a careful examination might have revealed a second shooter on the grassy knoll to the left (not far from the suspiciously unconcerned-looking Obersturmbanfuhrer with the umbrella).

Otherwise, the bullet must have ricocheted off the track, through the side of the transmission cover, disabling the tranny and locking the vehicle in "Park". Truly a magic bullet!

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Guest Big Time Software

Fionn is correct. Immobilization shots are not counted in the "Kills" area, so your hotseat opponant would not see anything in the Kills area. As for why the crew abandoned? The main gun must have also been damaged when the tank became immobilized. For a crew to jump out the vehicle must be ineffective either through damage or crew loss.

And there is *no* way a sharpshooter took out a main gun of a tank. It is simply not possible the way the code works. Something else took it out.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Ah, then this is even more simple smile.gif Something fairly big hit your Sherman (clank) and immobilized it. Niether of you saw what did it, so I'd rule out a PF or PS. A shot from one of the 88s would probably have been noticed, so my bet is on a grenade or mortar round. Either of the last two possibilities can be missed. And since there is no scoring for immobilized units in the Kills area, you have to see it.

Steve