Clearing obstacles and dragon's teeth.

Hello everyone,

We are having a discussion in a FaceBook group that is dedicated to Combat Mission. I am sure this question has been asked before, but we are wondering why the hedgehog obstacle can't be cleared by an engineer unit with a satchel charge? It shouldn't take any more time for an engineer unit to destroy the obstacle as it does to blast a hole through a wall or a hedgerow, but definitely more dangerous. I am personally wondering why the German dragon's teeth obstacle is not included, especially since they would be available in Final Blitzkrieg or any module for that title? Just wondering so be kind.

34 minutes ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

Hello everyone,

We are having a discussion in a FaceBook group that is dedicated to Combat Mission. I am sure this question has been asked before, but we are wondering why the hedgehog obstacle can't be cleared by an engineer unit with a satchel charge? It shouldn't take any more time for an engineer unit to destroy the obstacle as it does to blast a hole through a wall or a hedgerow, but definitely more dangerous. I am personally wondering why the German dragon's teeth obstacle is not included, especially since they would be available in Final Blitzkrieg or any module for that title? Just wondering so be kind.

You would need cutting charges for the hedgehogs.  One for each leg of the hedgehog.  Say 20 - 30 minutes per hedgehog. Also add time for laying out your firing method.  You would still need to remove any stubs sticking up out of the ground after the hedgehog is cut away..  A satchel charge would just scratch a hedgehog.

Edited by Field Oggy

On 3/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, WhiteWolf65 said:

Hello everyone,

Good point! 

On 3/4/2021 at 11:32 PM, WhiteWolf65 said:

I am personally wondering why the German dragon's teeth obstacle is not included, especially since they would be available in Final Blitzkrieg or any module for that title? Just wondering so be kind.

I would think, the dragon‘s teeth are a bit outside the CM scope, since they were installed just to block terrain for vehicle movement. So the practical way to deal with them, would be to go around them.

Of course, one could imagine an infantry assault across a line of dragon teeth. But I don’t think that would be a very historical approach and would probably not make a very playable, fun CM scenario. As any well planned obstacle, they should be protected by dug in supporting units in the rear, which would make a playable CM scenario pretty pretty difficult to achieve.