Objectives in set up location

Had an interesting thing happen on a scenario we are play testing. The Germans own an area with a stream snaking through it. There are 3 concrete bridges crossing the river at different locations. Each bridge is in a set up area for the Germans. The Allies have to take the bridges. Only the bridge hexes and the hex on either side are objectives.

First play through and the Allies manage to clear the area around one bridge and put a scout on it. Game ends and the German gets no credit for the other 2 bridges. 

So the question, even if an objective is in the set up area does the player still need to put a unit on it to "occupy."  

I've never seen this happen before and wonder if I had simply missed it all these years or what.

38 minutes ago, LiveNoMore said:

So the question, even if an objective is in the set up area does the player still need to put a unit on it to "occupy."  

Yes.  An occupy objective needs to be occupied with no OpFor on the objective at the end of the scenario.  A simple test is to hit cease fire on the first turn or two and the AAR screen and map review will demonstrate this game mechanic.    

22 hours ago, LiveNoMore said:

Ok, sounds like I never caught it before or a unit had passed through the objective and none of the enemy ever did.  

There is more than one type of terrain objective and I suspect this difference might be part of the confusion.  What you describe above sounds like a Touch Objective

Touch Objective example: If a BluFor unit has a Touch Objective it can just touch the objective and move on.  The BluFor unit does not have to occupy a BluFor Touch Objective.  It does not matter if a RedFor unit touches or occupies the BluFor Touch Objective.   

Occupy Objective example: If a BluFor unit has an Occupy Objective it must have a BluFor unit on the objective when the scenario ends and no RedFor on the objective.