This ones for the mod makers out there (that means YOU Tiger)

Would anyone like to make some Allied US Cav mods? there are some very nice illustrations on this site: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/9517/page38.html

it was provided by someone in another topic here on the bbs, but i forgot who...

just saying that it would be nice if yáll would stop messing about with your umpteenth mod of the king tiger and maby put your skills to the test on the poor allies... or even the more "obscure" axis vehicles like the halftracks or ACs...

Oh and dont give me any of that "theres only so many shades of olive drab" b*llsh*t cos you can do a lot of other things, the only limit is your own imagination. You could add unit insignias, impromptuo grafitti or even some personal affects on the outside (or even the inside for ot vehilces). Some allied vehicles had the mickey mose camo... mainly the brittish light armored vehicles. As for the axis Halftracks and ACs i just think they need a revamp now that almost all the other axis vehicles are redone...

------------------

Wof, wof, wof, wof... Thats my other dog imitation.

[This message has been edited by Oddball_E8 (edited 10-11-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

bump

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oddball, Tiger mentioned that the Allies are considerably more difficult because they all share many of the same textures. So if you change the rear deck on the M4 Sherman, you end up changing the rear deck on the Firefly or something like that.

Maybe a good thing in CM2 would be no texture sharing.

Jeff Heidman

And while we are talking about mods, what about the Canadian/Polish/Free French forces in CM. I just played Meyers revenge, and it was striking how ugly the turd brown polacks are. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I have not yet seen a single mod for any of the above mentioned forces.

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

And while we are talking about mods, what about the Canadian/Polish/Free French forces in CM. I just played Meyers revenge, and it was striking how ugly the turd brown polacks are. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I have not yet seen a single mod for any of the above mentioned forces.

WWB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well since the Polish and Canadians share the same infantry uniforms and the French share the same uniform as the US '44 pattern uniform, AND the Polish, Canadian, and French use the same AFVs as the British, I don't see your point.

*BUMPITY, BUMP*

Yeah! Here's another vote for a few Allied high-res mods. Wish I had the talent to do some myself, but I gotta rely on the good offices of our resident artists. I play Allies almost exclusively, and I sure am tired of lookin' at low-res!

I know all about the shared BMP thing, but I think the real problem could be....

"How much detail do ya need in a TARGET fer God's sake...!"

biggrin.gif

- Old Dog (not jes' another target)

I happen to know for a fact that Tiger always plays as axis... that might be a factor in why he doesnt do many allied vehicles.

and i also know about the shared bmp thingy... but you could still do unit markings and things like that...

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I happen to know for a fact that Tiger always plays as axis... that might be a factor in why he doesnt do many allied vehicles.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hunh? how do you know this?? I've only played 3-5 pbems so far, 2 as allied, 3 as axis.

The allied tanks are due for some more mods, but I doubt I'll do hi-res. I have them in hi-res already, but no-one expressed much intrest, and in my own humble opinion, they don't look as good as those weathered I did.

Jeff is correct. The allied shermans share some bmps and this makes texturing a problem. For example, I had a really cool hi-res sherman jumbo, but the gun mantle was a completely different color. Why? Because it shares the same gun mantle bmp as the rest of the shermans. So it's have the jumbo gun mantle a weird non-matching color or have the rest of the shermans with a non-matching color gun mantle....

In any case I'll try again with the allies but I still like the weathered ones wink.gif

-john

well i "knew" because you had said it in another post... besides im not requesting anything fancy... just maby some markings or something... just so that not EVERY sherman looks the same... sure some of the different sherman models will have the same markings but what the hell... still cooler than they are now... and besides... im not actually talking about shermans if you look at the first post... im talking about stuarts and greyhouns and the likes... would be cool to have a grayhound with impromptu crossed sabers painted onto the side or a stuart with the cavalry flag draped over the rear hull... things like that

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

In any case I'll try again with the allies but I still like the weathered ones wink.gif

-john<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah.............! Now you're talk'en Tiger! More of those weathered and beat-up mods please.

Thanks!

------------------

"Then we shall fight in the shade." (Greek general's comment upon being told that the Persian archers could blot-out the sun with their arrows.)

My high-res M4A3 is currently being tested by Old Dog, and will be released as soon as it passes. Tomorrow I shall tweak it into a Free French scheme.

We could do with someone programming-minded to write a small utility to let you swap different versions of vehicle textures into and out of the game, especially if we are going to see alternate schemes like the Free French.

The shared texture thing is a real pain. For example, who would have picked that the Sherman mantlet is also used for the side of the front mudguard? Hope CM2 avoids this.

My high-res M4A3 is currently being tested by Old Dog, and will be released as soon as it passes. Tomorrow I shall tweak it into a Free French scheme.

We could do with someone programming-minded to write a small utility to let you swap different versions of vehicle textures into and out of the game, especially if we are going to see alternate schemes like the Free French.

The shared texture thing is a real pain. For example, who would have picked that the Sherman mantlet is also used for the side of the front mudguard? Hope CM2 avoids this.

Although im really happy to hear that the shermans are getting some well deserved attention, the primary subject of this topic was cavalry mods... for the m8 and m5a1, or even the german equivalents.

so how about it? am i ever gonna see a greyhound with crossed sabers on the front mudguard?

------------------

A high-rez Sherman. THIS I want to see. Any chance I could take you into sending me a copy???

I do wish that with CM2 Battlefront takes a serious change with their textures. Right now you cannot put writing on the textures since the writing will be on all vehicles of that type so specific names is not possible. Also since the same side view is used for right and left views on one side the writing will be backwards on the opposing side. Of course labels and badges will also be backwards.

I also wish that they would make it easier to add new vehicles types or add changes to vehicles. Right now the textures are pasted on forms that are hard coded into the game. Any texture changes must fit the forms. It is impossible to say add the rocket launchers to the M4 Sherman.

MikeT

well the suggestions that i have made are fully doable. putting an adhoc painted-on crossed sabre mark on the front mudguard is possible since it will look thesame even if mirrored (wich it will be on the other mudguard) and the Cavalry flag draped over the rear of the Stuart is also very possible, the top bmp is only used there and the side bmps will only have the edges of the flag wich contains no text. As for text just look at the rear of the M20 AUC. there are unit markings or (more likely) shipping markings, those could be easily done on a sherman. If there done so they look almost worn out it wont make a differance if they appear on several vehicles. And one simple thing that can be done is different versions of the star. Putting duffelbags and rolled up blankets/tents on the vehicles would look nice too. and they wouldnt clash with other textures too much.

Just recieved Marco HiResed Sherman and it's a beauty.

I hope it will be wide spread and that he will do more Allies thingies the like of the M8 and all.

You are a talented bugger and LET IT BE KNOW.

------------------

Will you trade your Peng for a box of Seanachai?

In case you are all wondering what Oddball is burbling about, he recieved his cavalry M8.

( I knocked it up quickly this morning to try to shut him up wink.gif ).

As far as I'm concerned, it belongs to him so if anyone wants it ask him for the file, not me. A slow (but free) ISP means I don't send too much out if I can help it.

As for the Sherman, my official tester Old Dog and 2 people who asked nicely have gotten it. Everyone else will have to wait for the CMHQ release. ( Which judging by the time its taking to post my winter Saurer 6x4, will be sometime in March smile.gif )

Hi all, just popped by to see how yas are,

note: I ran into the reverse texture problem when I did the cromwell, solution was to put the texture on the opposite side, so when CM reversed it, voila, it's where it's supposed to be, take care

cool.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"