Bunkers Burning

Flibby

Has anyone found a decent way to get around this map? I saw another thread from a long time ago about how a central thrust is the only real way, as the other avenues are so slim, however even with smoke and mortar support the sheer amount of bunkers and MGs overwhelms my attackers and i get bogged down. The Panzer 4 which appears on the crest always seems to take a lot of hits, and the pesky AT gun shifts position, which is good for replay ability i suppose!

Hi friend,

I would think that bunkers burning is the name of the scenario as bunkers don't burn in the game. I have never played the scenario but would think that using your tanks to shoot at the bunkers  to destroy them would help. And then you maybe could try smoke again to get closer to some of them while the other ones are being shot at by tanks so you can use panzerschreck, panzerfaust, bazookas, satchel charges or whatever you have to destroy a few more.

I'm sure someone who has Red Thunder will be able to advice you more.

The OP is playing as the Russians. So that rules out schrecks and fausts. Also there is very little smoke to play with. The Russian mortars don't have very many rounds, the tanks don't have any at all and the infantry don't carry smoke grenades.

It has been years since I played this and I only managed a "Draw" as the Russians. Hopefully someone who has won it will be along shortly to help.

3 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

The OP is playing as the Russians. So that rules out schrecks and fausts. Also there is very little smoke to play with. The Russian mortars don't have very many rounds, the tanks don't have any at all and the infantry don't carry smoke grenades.

It has been years since I played this and I only managed a "Draw" as the Russians. Hopefully someone who has won it will be along shortly to help.

Thanks - at least it isn't just me!

I'm going to try to lay some more smoke to cover my line rather than the germans, just to get my onto the slops so that i can set up my fires as soon as the smoke starts to clear. The issue is the pesky AT gun but perhaps i can sacrifice some Ivans beforehand to get it's location and focus that down first before charging the flame tanks over

1 hour ago, Vacilllator said:

Or you can use their main guns from a distance like normal T34s?  The flamethrower is hull mounted so the 76mm is still in the turret.  Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious 😉

That is true, however until the AT gun and Stug are dealt with i'll be out ranged. Also the enemy is thoroughly entrenched and the main guns take a LONG time to either deal with bunkers or with entrenched enemies until we get into Canister or Flame range

38 minutes ago, Flibby said:

until we get into Canister... range

You have canister?  I missed that.  I am a big fan of canister on the M8 armored car and even the Renault R35.  It may not be so good against bunkers however, haven't tried it - unless the shot finds it way though the slot and disposes of the occupants.  Of course you would need to get close, as you said...

Okay, looking closer I see that the T34s have canister.  Only 5 rounds each, but there nevertheless.  I learn something every day.  You can probably guess how often I've played as Soviets with T34s 😉.  Must give them a try after learning this.  I found an old discussion about the validity of having canister on T34s and it seemed convincing.

Back on thread, against a bunker I'm not sure the TacAI would select canister so your T34s may end up firing AP (or HE) anyway?