Game won't launch

Heady3543

I've recently bought a new gaming PC and when I try and install CMBN, it installs fine and everything, but when I try and launch it, it will attempt to launch and the screen will go black for a second then it will just crash and send me back to the windows.

I've seen something like this on a forum before but they were extremely vague on the fix. Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can go about fixing it?

Since you are here, @BFCElvis will almost certainly help you out.  ;)

Your normal port of call for these issues is the 'Helpdesk':

https://battlefront.mojohelpdesk.com/

If you can't immediately see a solution for your issue, click the 'New Ticket' tab in the top right corner, fill in the details and your issue will be dealt with, usually surprisingly promptly.  B)

6 hours ago, Heady3543 said:

it installs fine and everything, but when I try and launch it, it will attempt to launch and the screen will go black for a second then it will just crash and send me back to the windows.

Sounds like exactly the problem I have with my "new" Win 10 machine.   The weird thing is that I have an older Win 10 machine and all the games run fine on that.  I wonder if there is something in the latest version of Win 10 that is sabotaging CM2.

FWIW this is what the helpdesk suggests:

Problem:

Nothing happens when you launch the game, no errors, etc. or you get a "0xc0000005" error.

Solution:

You may need to adjust your Data Execution Prevention settings in Windows (a built-in security feature of Windows, available since Windows XP Service Pack 2). These settings may be interfering with the function of the eLicense copy-protection/DRM software, which in turn causes nothing to happen when you attempt to launch the game.

For Windows XP:

1. Go to the Start Menu and open up the Control Panel.

2. Open up the "System" control panel.

3. Click on the "Advanced" tab.

4. Click on the "Performance" section's "Settings" button.

5. Click on the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.

For Windows Vista & Windows 7/8:

1. Go to the Windows/Start Menu and open up the Control Panel.

2. Open up the "System" control panel.

3. Click on the text that says "Advanced system settings" in the menu column to the left.

4. Click on the "Performance" section's "Settings" button.

5. Click on the "Data Execution Prevention" tab.

Once you have gotten to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab the following instructions are universal to Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7/8:

1. Verify that "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" is selected. If it is not, select that option and click "Apply" and then try and run the game.

Note: Even if you see that option checked already, go ahead and uncheck and then recheck it to ensure that its activated!

1. If the game still does not launch (or you still get the error message), then go back and select the other option "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and click the "Add" button to add exceptions to DEP. You will be presented with the 'Open' file dialog box where you will need to browse for the following files:

2. All games listed below will need "Runservice.exe" added as an exception (which is the executable file for the 'LicCtrl Service'). This will be found in the 'C:\Windows' directory. If you do not find this file, then the game may not have been licensed yet or something else may have happened to the file. Email elicense@battlefront.com and we can provide the missing files. You will have to manually copy the missing files to the Windows directory (and you may need to launch the File Manager with the 'Run as administrator' selection in Windows Vista and Windows 7).

3. Here's a list of the files that you may need to add as DEP exceptions for each game. The directories provided here are the default installation directories. If you have installed into a custom directory you will need to locate that directory. The directories listed here will be for installations on 32-bit versions of Windows (the most common). For 64-bit versions of Windows change the "\Program Files" directory to "\Program Files (x86)":

Combat Mission: Afghanistan: Located at "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Afghanistan"

add: "CM Afghanistan.exe"

Combat Mission: Shock Force: Located at "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force"

add: "CM Shock Force.exe"

Marines module: located at "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Modules\CMSF Marines Module.exe"

British Forces module: located at "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Modules\CMSF British Module.exe"

NATO module: located at "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force\Modules\CMSF NATO Module.exe"

Combat Mission Beyond Overlord: located at "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Beyond Overlord"

add: "Combat Mission.exe"

Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin: located at "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin"

add: "Barbarossa to Berlin.exe"

Combat Mission Afrika Korps: located at "C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Afrika Korps"

add: "CM Afrika Korps.exe"

1. On some occasions these DEP settings may not "take" when initially applied. You may need to "Delete" the exceptions you have added and then re-add them. Once you have done that, reboot and try the game again once you've booted back up. If the game still doesn't launch try deleting the exceptions one more time and re-adding them again (and again, rebooting to have the settings take effect). If the game still refuses to launch there may be something else interfering with eLicense that is NOT DEP-related.

2. If making the DEP-related changes (and the required reboots) still does not allow the game to run, then you may have something else interfering with the game or eLicense. The most common culprits are anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware, firewall and other internet security programs (some are even browser add-ons). You may need to temporarily disable these programs or add exceptions to them for eLicense ('Runservice.exe') and the game (using the above listed executable files) to see if this makes any difference. On occasion even temporarily disabling these programs is not enough and they continue to interfere. The Windows Firewall and Microsoft Defender programs rarely have issues with our programs and eLicense, so they are usually not the culprit (so far).

Edited by Erwin

6 hours ago, Heady3543 said:

I've recently bought a new gaming PC and when I try and install CMBN, it installs fine and everything, but when I try and launch it, it will attempt to launch and the screen will go black for a second then it will just crash and send me back to the windows.

I've seen something like this on a forum before but they were extremely vague on the fix. Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can go about fixing it?

Those kinds of things are frequently caused by the video card. Sgt. Squarehead has the right idea by suggesting that you open a Help Desk ticket.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, thanks for all the feedback and advice, really appreciate it.

I opened up a ticket as suggested and it turns out there were some files missing from the base install that was causing the game to crash. Once I had those files and installed the game again it worked a treat!

Thanks again, hope to see you on the battlefield!

4 hours ago, Heady3543 said:

it turns out there were some files missing from the base install that was causing the game to crash.

Ah... how did you guys figure that out?  I thought that making a post here was opening the "ticket".  After all these years there is actually another tech support area??