What prevents this kind of cheating?

Toad

Considering the great lengths BTS has taken to ensure fair play in PBEM games, I'm sure this has an answer.

What prevents a cheater from editing a scenario in his favour before starting a PBEM match? Some things would be obvious to a person who had played the scenario before - like an exta tank on the battlefield. But what about other, less obvious tweaks?

Increasing the starting ammo of tanks or MGs?

Increasing the odds of having fanatical troops?

Increasing the chance of reinforcements showing up?

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

Or even just checking out the opfor setup positions and troops before the start. Quick battles seem to be the only real answer or only play people you trust. After all its only a game, whats the point in cheating, there's no satisfaction in that.

Edit: or is this the old wargamer coming out in me, we played to try and recreat battles and tried to avoid things that wouldn't happen (eg: Not putting troops in square even though you can see the cavalry coming from the other side of the table but your troops can't)

[This message has been edited by Private Pike (edited 09-05-2000).]

Eeew, I like the way you think.

The "Tournament Save" feature of the editor saves a scenario so it can't be opened/edited. The scenarios that ship on the CD aren't saved in this manner, but if you're worried about it you could create "tourney" versions of the standard scenarios.

Does anyone know if there's a notification when you're playing a tournament-saved scenario?

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest Madmatt

Umm, that would be the password protection.

But there is nothing to stop you from playing all 50 scenarios and Ops that come with the game from both sides.

Of course a better player will still kick your ass playing though.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-05-2000).]

Guest *Captain Foobar*

If someone is being a booger, don't play them again. In time, you will develop a "list" of players you have a rapport with, and someone who truly enjoys the game will show themself over time to be a reliable opponent.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pillar:

Even the quick battles can be viewed during a pbem game (at any stage).

No, I'm not telling how. The last thing we need is more cheaters.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You saying a player can open a PBEM game, in progress, and see the whole "field"?

mad.gif

Cav

I don't think there's any practical way for the average gamer to do what Pillar relates.

Of course, using HexEditors, deciphering tools, password run-through algorithms and the Polish team who cracked enigma, you can view any PBEM file.

The best thing is of course to play someone you know. Like, one of my recent PBEM opponents told me his password. we were far into the game so we didn't bother to stop it. so I was there with his password, but I knew I would not reap any enjoyment out of the game if I made use of that info. being a PBEM that took rather long, I actually forgot the password. I won, but just barely. Only weeks after the game had been finished, when I was cleaning up my HD, I went to check and indeed the password was correct.

------------------

"Do want a game that works???" (CPT Stransky)

[This message has been edited by M Hofbauer (edited 09-06-2000).]

If someone wants to cheat let them. Just play the best game you can play and have fun. In the end I feel you can always tell if someone is cheating.

So far the few ooponents I have had are honest and fun players. Always willing to participate in a little trash talkin' in the e-mails. All in good fun mind you. wink.gif

BTW, Fionn, if you read this, send me your turn!! I am waiting for my tanks to crush your infantry! Crush..crush..crush...

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jshandorf (edited 09-06-2000).]