Battle of Berlin Panther pillbox pic

A few weeks ago, I believe, I posted some BoB video, with a specific mention I'd found a Panther pillbox in the footage. While trying to find a still of a dug-in T-34, I found a still of that pillbox from the film and thought I'd share it. Now that I can see it better, would say it's a dug-in disabled Panther, rather than the Italy Panther turm design. Regardless, it's been in heavy combat and appears to have had its cupola shot clean off, something recorded in a number of German accounts of various Panzer types in battle. Also, looks as if there may be some additional armor on it via a shield slid onto the gun barrel about a meter in front of the mantlet, an installation akin to that of the Super Pershing.This would make a great diorama, I think.

4cc3c7f2234c6a5e5ca73f370af1f6ee.jpg&f=1

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Came across this most interesting WoT blog on tank turret fortifications. There, I found another pic of the above, together with gobs of related material on tank turret fortifications. Article misidentified turret on the above as being from an E-100 ,which it manifestly was not. As you can see from this second pic, the cupola was likely blown clean off, along with the rear hatch.
fort-turret-7-big1.jpg

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/06/10/tank-turrets-as-bunkers-wargaming-fantasy/

Regards,

John Kettler

5 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Came across this most interesting WoT blog on tank turret fortifications. There, I found another pic of the above, together with gobs of related material on tank turret fortifications. Article misidentified turret on the above as being from an E-100 ,which it manifestly was not. As you can see from this second pic, the cupola was likely blown clean off, along with the rear hatch.
fort-turret-7-big1.jpg

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/06/10/tank-turrets-as-bunkers-wargaming-fantasy/

Regards,

John Kettler

A bit difficult to take the author seriously when he thinks that is an E-100 turret...

Benpark,

Reread that article, and it appears the author was undone by the page layout person. There is a clear statement the item in question is a Panther turret, but there is also a reference to an image above showing there were plans to build a Panzer Turm using the Maus turret, making the E100 Panzer Turm not so crazy.. Essentially, correct info got misplaced in the article, creating confusion. The last line above the Panther PB correctly IDs it as one, but the line below the pic talks about the Maus PB above in reference to the E100 Panzer Turm. In any event, here's that second pic which didn't post.

fort-turret-7-big1.jpg.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler