Sudden Strike playable demo is..

Nice graphics but nothing ground breaking. Fun to play but I'm not sure it will last. I have a funny feeling that there really won't be more to learn from the actual game. Without pause in multiplayer, I just don't see how there will be more tactics than wrap and rush.Even with pause, are you really going to bother giving orders to each and every infantry grunt?It seems like a beer and preztles light war game.

I will probably eventually get it just for the fun of it, especially if CM remains under construction. I mean, as a action/strategy/wargamer, I need my fix until CM and WWii online.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cable modem of course. The German version came in at 19KB/sec. The English version putted in at 15KB/sec.

This ,by the way ,is a very sloow download speed for cable. Must be coming from Germany.

Good downloads can surpass 200KB/sec ,usually at night, after midnight, but anything over 50KB/sec is nice.

Well that entertained me for all of three minutes frown.gif

Putting it on the kids computer now :P

He liked it but I had alredy figured that, This doesnt hold a candle to CC2 this is pure clickfest from what I saw........

If ya like that kinda stuff you'll love this.

Terrain graphics are pretty sweet and the explosions / combat effects are kool its a shame there is no real wargame element present or even a partial one :P - I will buy if for my kid when it hits the bargain bin tho

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Man this game is hard! You can't just tank rush...the AT guns are deadly, actually if read the docs, the game is pretty well thought out. You can do lots of cool things like repair your tanks, and refill the ammo, move AA guns around smile.gif search for mines with troops. man the enemy's aa/at guns, use the Surmtiger for long range bombardment.

I think that is the only thing I do, carpet bomb an area before moving in.

But visibility is not too good, so you tend to shoot without actually seeing.

I like paradropping as well biggrin.gif

I'm glad CM uses 3 soldiers per squad, cause seeing all this infantry running is making my stress levels elevate! smile.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 03-17-2000).]

One thing that really upsets me is the fact that there is no standard infantry.. just Sniper,MP40, Panzerfaust, Flamethrower(way too many), and Officer. Blah.. can't there be squads?? damn it...

oh well...

I got just pass the little place w/ the Propane tank looking things... then some tanks came and killed what I had left of infantry.. I got a howitzer though... but the thing takes to long to load,.. they killed him to quick..

------------------

Formally Tom punkrawk

"Tomorrows killed by yesterday..." -Link80

Go to my soldiers at war page~!! http://www.geocities.com/soldiersat_war or I'll sick a goat on you!

Guest Zulu1

Tried the demo and after 3 times through it, it's off the hd. An RTS clickfest. frown.gif

Graphics are ok, maps are flat so no use of terrain that I could see. The screen said up to 1000 units on a map so controlling that many is going to be a real chore.

The arty is a Hummel or something shooting about 200 metres.

Won't even consider buying it when theres going to be lots better coming down the pike.

CM, B17-2, Silent Hunter 2. Y2K is going to be a good year.

I tried sneaking an officer down the east edge of the map with a german arty type vehicle right behind. I wanted to get los with the officer and bombard with the vehicle. I inched slowly and it appeared to work. Three tanks countered attacked me and I was toast.

It seems tricky to master. It is because of inexperience or an ackward rts style of play. Probably both.

I actually think it could be very cool if it ran a bit slower. I got very confused by the speed (gawd i must be getting old).

I did manage to win though after a para drop / bombing run to help crack that defensive line.

VERY pretty however. Really looks great.

_dumbo

Press the pause/break key to puase when things get hairy, you can issue oreders when its paused to.

I also group all my units into 10 diiferent types and assign them to the key numbers.

Still haven't won yet wink.gif

The German voices are very well done, I'll nick a few to use in the CM beta demo!

Los Los Los, schnell!

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! tongue.gif

Well I decided to give it another try this morning, thinking maybe I hadn't given it a good chance - so I actually took my time to group some units and formulate a plan. IT basically turned into a clickfest no matter how I approached it, It is a shame that the units have no significant values in relation to one another - tanks, infantry what have you can all destroy one another with ease - makes it very uninteresting IMHO. Had they tried to add some realism and slowed it to a cc2 Speed then they woulda had a much better game.

It still pretty - but that only goes so far

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Guest Captain Foobar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>39.7 mb download time on a phone modem? sheeeeeeeeeesh. Sounds like I gotta download it during the entire week!!!.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just mad because its taking 8 minutes!!!! Man, I'm gonna send a nasty email to my cable modem provider... tongue.gif

CoolColJ said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The German voices are very well done, I'll nick a few to use in the CM beta demo!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The game is german, man rolleyes.gif

Ariel

[This message has been edited by argie (edited 03-19-2000).]

Downloaded it (all) last night.

Nice graphics. The (terrain) graphics are probably so good because its clear the designers did not spend a lot of time fretting over ballistics modeling or anything of the like.

Neat to watch though...

Well its deleted but I was really impressed by the amount of units and action going on at once. It also looks really really nice.

Ill probably buy the full thing when it comes out though. Looks like it could be worth a good weekend.

_dumbo