Quick Battle Campaign: Donetsk (Prototype)

DerKommissar

Quick Battle Campaign: Donetsk (Prototype)

This is a field trial for an operation-based Quick Battle generator. After taking into consideration all the great systems that were recommended to me by the community, I've finally settled on an implementation. This thread will contain both the operational mechanics and the Quick Battle AARs. I apologize for the lack of flavour text, as this is a test.

The objective of this trial is to get the balancing right, both for the QB settings and the Operational Metagame component. I'm starting this demo with 4 players (1 US, 1 UKR, 2 RF). You are welcome to participate as one of the players, and play against CPU, or a partner. If so, please post below -- as well as any questions you may have.

Note: BLUFOR and REDFOR sides will be able to see eachother's "hands" in this trial. This way it is easier to compare, for balance.

IkVh1lr.jpg

11 July 2017 Dawn

Forecast: TimeAndDate.com

Conditions: Overcast, Dry

BLUFOR Operational Objectives (roll 36-72, roll 32-66):

1: Defend Area (Grid: 39, 36)

2: Attack Area (Grid: 59, 39)

3: Defend Area (Grid: 56, 55)

REDFOR Operational Objectives (roll 36-72, roll 32-66):

1: Attack Area (Grid: 68, 64)

2:  Attack Area (Grid: 61, 59)

3: Attack Area (Grid: 70, 51)

Operational Map

9h4v1Td.jpg

(Open Image In New Tab for greater resolution)

Edited by DerKommissar

US Task Force A Plan(7000 – 600 = 6400 Points) 

*These are the Player's orders. Everyone starts with 7000 Points, in this Campaign. This can be spent to accomplish operational tasks like requesting support, digging in, logistics, movement or securing the perimeter. The remaining amount of Points (6400) is the maximum amount of points used to purchase forces in Quick Battle, for the Player's side.*

Orders: Defend Area 1

*The Player picks an Operational Objective to pursue. Their Victory Points in Quick Battle will contribute to its completion.*

Actions: *The Player plans out their Operational actions here. They can pick as many as they want, and invest any number of Points in their success.*

1. Request Attack Helicopter Support (x2) (400 points)  *US Player has decided to bid 400 of their total Points into obtaining a support of 2 Apaches in 1 Quick Battle.*

DC: 800. Roll: 343 + 400 = 743/800 *The GM decides the Difficulty Check, which determines how high the roll must be to ensure the Player's success. The Player's invested points are added on top. For this one the roll is between 1 to 800, and the Player must get 800 for a full success.*

Obtained 1 Apache support for 1 battle *The GM declares the result of the Action. The result was a partial success.*

2. Construct Fortifications (200 points) *The Player can invest in digging in.*

DC: 400. Roll: 273 + 200 = 473/400 *Digging in is easier than receiving attack helicopter support.*

Obtained 473 points worth of Fortifications for 1 battle *The success is directly proportional to the outcome of the roll.*

UKR Task Force B Plan(7000 – 600 = 6400 Points)

*This is Player 2's plans. This would be its own post on the forum.*

Orders: Attack Area 2

Actions:

1. Advance 1 kilometer (100 points). DC: 100 *Advancing a square kilometer on the map takes a Difficulty Check, as well.*

Roll: 29 + 100 = 129/100

Advanced 1 Kilometer

2. Secure 2 square kilometers (200 points). DC: 400 *In order to turn the square kilometer to your side's control. A Security DC is required.*

Roll: 354 + 200 = 554/400

Secured 2 square kilometers

3. Request artillery battery support (300 points). DC: 600

Roll: 513 + 300 = 813/600 *Great success!*

Obtained 3 heavy guns for 1 battle

*Engel Matrix is the basis for this system. The Player is encouraged to use creativity and attention to detail when laying out their plans.*

RUS Task Force C Plan(7000 – 500 = 6500 Points)

Orders: Attack Area 2

Actions:

1. Advance 2 kilometers North (100 points) DC: 200

Roll: 79 + 100 = 179/200

Advanced 1 Kilometer

2. Secure 4 square kilometers (400 points) DC: 800

Roll: 371 + 400 = 771/800

Secured 3 square kilometers

RUS Task Force D Plan(7000 – 400 = 6600 Points)

Orders: Attack Area 3

Actions:

1. Advance 2 kilometer (100 points). DC: 200

Roll: 170 + 100 = 270/200

Advanced 2 Kilometers

2. Request Close Air Support (300 points). DC: 600

Roll: 17 + 300 = 317/600

Obtained 1 Hind support

Operational Map

sDnJMAh.jpg

*Note: Each square kilometer is occupied by Non-Player forces, that are represented by the Faction's colour.*

Legend: Light Blue: US, Dark Blue: UKR, Red: RF

Edited by DerKommissar

US Task Force A AAR

The Player can determine the size of the Battle and the Battlefield in the QB Menu. Other factors are dependent on Actions, Operational Map and Conditions.

ZI1BQYm.jpg

Legend: Green options are chosen by the Player. Blue options are chosen by the Operational Map. Orange options are chosen by the Day's Forecast. Red Options are chosen by the success of Actions.

oXSWWMk.jpg

The US Task Force A Player picks 6400 Points worth of Forces and 473 Points worth of Fortifications. They decide to keep their 1 Apache Support, for now.

tINFC7j.jpg

T8TmOpi.jpg

fXn2oIQ.jpg

GNXV73e.jpg

uSUGrYm.jpg

noXEzJi.jpg

97heB1w.jpg

1craMCC.jpg

pO6WBqd.jpg

C5NhvVH.jpg

The Defensive has been a minor success. The Net Points (412 - 205 = 207) will added to the Task Force A Player's Point pool, as well as the accomplishment of Operational Objective 1. In the event of a defeat, the Net Points are negative and will be subtracted from the Player's Points, as well as the Objective's success.

Edited by DerKommissar

igh9hhz.jpg0MY3iOS.jpg

Open image in new tab to see OOB details. Note that the 3 cannon support won in the Operational layer are added on top of the UKR Task force Point pool. 6391+871 = 7262

VIebuMm.jpgmGiXtHN.jpg5rB7pWL.jpgBJ1M2iH.jpglbIKkSE.jpgckW6gUX.jpgyD0Bqhm.jpg9PonJ3S.jpgT8R3GgO.jpgrWD9Qry.jpgKwM3LDc.jpg

Breakthrough! A stunning success by the UKR Task Force. HQ will be pleased. Net Points Gained = 1000 - 118 = 882

Edited by DerKommissar

On 11/30/2019 at 11:57 AM, Attilaforfun said:

A campaign system is all I really want from this system. Any help I can provide to bring this to fruition is yours.

Sure thing, bud. Appreciate the interest, and I could always use play testers. I have a couple of options:

a. I can set you up with a new task force, next turn (Turns = Time of Day). This turn is half way done, as 2 out of 4 QBs have been completed.

b. You can assume command of either one of the BLUFOR Task Forces, next turn. I already fought their respective, generated, QBs.

c. Take control of one of the REDFOR Task Forces in QB. I haven't started playing Task Force C or D, but their QB settings are ready to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...