What is the best book, IYO, on battlefield tactics?

I would like your opinions on this subject due to my interest in getting one. But need something pretty interesting. I cannot or wont trudge through 100's of pages of crap anymore just to learn. I did that enough in college, I want to learn to the tune of something interesting. Thanks and God Bless.

One that I found to be really good is:

"Closing with the Enemy, How GIs fought the War in Europe, 1944-1945" by Michael D. Doubler

It follows the mistakes and corrections of those mistakes by the US Forces in WW II. I recommennd it.

Jumbo

Guest Mikey D

There are a few reproductions of the U.S. Army "Tank Commander's Guide" for various generations of Tank out there. I found one for the 1960's generation M48 tank. It had info on everything from indirect fire to combat formations to sleeping arrangements. Not exactly tactical theory, but a fun read for an enthusiast.

A few years ago I picked up a small book called "German Squad Tactics in WWII" which is an edited translation of a German handbook. It's a little small-scale for CM but certainly interesting; the publisher has a number of similar books which also look good but aren't cheap: http://home.fuse.net/nafziger/books.html

I can also second the recommendation on the Doubler book- it's quite good.

The Marine Corps Gazette publishes a book of tactical exercises from the magazine, called "Mastering Tactics" by Maj. John F. Schmitt, USMCR. I don't remember for sure where I got mine but MCG almost certainly has a web site to sell their stuff somewhere. It's about modern Marines but is easily retrofitted to WWII.