Will someone please help me get CM Helper working

21 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

One of my opponents sent me CM Helper and I have tried to install it but nothing happens. If anyone can help me, please do so. I've watched the videos on how it works after installing it but not much info on how to get it working.

I use CMH on a Mac ... tho works well also AFAIK on a PC ... happy to try and help if I can.

When you say "nothing happens ...", can you say a bit more ...

If you run CMH by whatever method (Mac or PC), do you see the CMH window open?

If you can see that window, you need to use the CMH menu to "Add a game", i.e. make CMH aware of a CM battle that already has a game turn in either the incoming or outgoing turn folders for the title in question ... if you haven't yet played an email battle for a first turn to be generated (either by you or your opponent), you need to have a turn to point CMH at ...

You will also presumably have  Dropbox (or similar ...) folder set up to swap the files with your opponent? CMH needs to be shown that folder also by browsing to it within CMH, so it can put the right game files in the right Dropbox folder

And perhaps you can view the CMH Log File to ascertain if CMH has "seen" your installation(s) of whatever CM titles you have ...

Let me know some more of how far you have got!

1 hour ago, PhilM said:

I use CMH on a Mac ... tho works well also AFAIK on a PC ... happy to try and help if I can.

When you say "nothing happens ...", can you say a bit more ...

If you run CMH by whatever method (Mac or PC), do you see the CMH window open?

If you can see that window, you need to use the CMH menu to "Add a game", i.e. make CMH aware of a CM battle that already has a game turn in either the incoming or outgoing turn folders for the title in question ... if you haven't yet played an email battle for a first turn to be generated (either by you or your opponent), you need to have a turn to point CMH at ...

You will also presumably have  Dropbox (or similar ...) folder set up to swap the files with your opponent? CMH needs to be shown that folder also by browsing to it within CMH, so it can put the right game files in the right Dropbox folder

And perhaps you can view the CMH Log File to ascertain if CMH has "seen" your installation(s) of whatever CM titles you have ...

Let me know some more of how far you have got!

I have unzipped the file to a folder of it's own and created an icon for it. Windows asks me if I want to allow the program to be added to the computer and I click "Yes". When I double click the CM Helper icon, nothing happens. I have also tried pinning it to my Task Bar and still nothing happens when I click on it. I have also deleted the file and downloaded it again making sure there were no registry artifacts left over from the first install. I downloaded a fresh copy and installed it, still nothing.

As you are using a Windows PC, my Mac-based methods of making CMH run for the first time won't be of much help!

Perhaps a Windows-user can chime in and help us out?

Once you actually have CMH running I'll be happy to chip in again with how CMH works, if necessary ... but I'm wary of just making things worse by inferring anything from my Mac version procedures to make CMH run in the first place.

You are getting the windows zip files from this link?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jvh9sx2zla2k0eq/AAA8sQCZZpvs0Emv3M5y7ZFSa

I'm not really an user of CM Helper, but I downloaded and installed a copy. I got version 1.75 from here (a 'tiny url' that points to a DropBox location for download):

http://bit.ly/cm-helper

I extracted this to its own folder as you have done. Double-click on the 'cmh.exe' file (which doesn't have an unique icon) and NOT the 'CMH.ico' file (which is an icon file that has an image that you may want to select as the icon for CM Helper) and that should launch CM Helper which will display two small windows the first time it is launched (image attached is the main CM Helper window). One is the actual application itself and the other is a small diagnostic window that shows what CM Helper has done to configure itself with the CM games that it finds on your computer.

I'm not sure where the "Windows asks me if I want to allow the program to be added to the computer and I click "Yes"." originates from since I had nothing like that occur on my computer (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit). Is this a different version of Windows (Win 10?) or possibly some sort of security program checking to see if you were intentionally installing a program ? If this is a security program doing the checking, then you may want to look through that program's controls to see how to fully enable CM Helper (in case it is being 'blocked' in some manner).

If you want to launch CM Helper from the desktop, then open up the Windows File Manager, right-click on the 'cmh.exe' file and select 'Create shortcut' from the popup menu. Copy this newly created 'cmh.exe - Shortcut' file to your desktop (it will be a 'generic' icon). Then right-click on this icon and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here click on the 'Change Icon' button at the bottom in the middle. In here click on the 'Browse' button and browse to the location for the 'CMH.ico' file and select that. Highlight the image that shows up below and click 'OK', the click 'Apply' and then 'OK' and your icon should now be the one if the icon file instead of something generic.

cmhelper-main.jpg

Edited by Schrullenhaft
Some more detailed explanation, since I assume the issue may be one of not clicking on the correct file.