Marders vs IFV / AFV question

Apache

Is there a reliable way to get Marders to use their Milans against armour targets instead of using their main gun?  Had four crest a ridge to test with a couple of enemy MBT and BMPs in full view.  Not one fired the Milan but insisted on engaging with the main gun?  Seem to remember something similar with SF1 but can't recall if I had to do something (open up command?) to get them to use it.  Not a problem with Bradleys (but even they at times seem to be keener at times on using TOWs against buildings).  

Also, WRT MOUT etc, IIRC, target light was a command you could also use for Marders etc to suppress a building while friendlies were about to assault it, I can't recall if they would actually cease fire where friendlies were close to the target, or just take special care to avoid hitting them.  With SF2 they keep firing.  But this may be a failing memory issue.

And jeez do I prefer US forces with Javelins over German squads with 'fausts! LOL :(  Enjoy using German forces with the Leopards but I find USMC infantry way more effective and less brittle, AND Javelins!!

17 hours ago, Apache said:

Is there a reliable way to get Marders to use their Milans against armour targets instead of using their main gun?  Had four crest a ridge to test with a couple of enemy MBT and BMPs in full view.  Not one fired the Milan but insisted on engaging with the main gun? 

So how did they do against the MBT and BMPs with their main gun? The tac AI should use an appropriate weapon - with the caveat that if one system takes longer to engage they will also fire with lesser weapons. A great example is from CMBN. The Sherman will let loose with the .50cal against enemy armour while the gunner is taking aim with the 75. That is as expected. Since the .50 cal will not KO the opfor tank but can do some damage especially if the TC's head is poking out but they will fire the 75 too.

So, in your example did the Marder's main gun handle the targets? I am sure they can deal with BMPs but not so sure about the MBTs. The Milans will take a while to engage compared to the main gun so it is not a surprise that they opened up with the main gun first. If that is enough to disable or KO the op for armour then their work here is done. If not then they should have opened up with the ATGMs as well.

17 hours ago, Apache said:

Also, WRT MOUT etc, IIRC, target light was a command you could also use for Marders etc to suppress a building while friendlies were about to assault it, I can't recall if they would actually cease fire where friendlies were close to the target, or just take special care to avoid hitting them.  With SF2 they keep firing.  But this may be a failing memory issue.

Yeah there is no "stop area firing when friendlies are near" feature. I do not believe there ever was. So you have to manage that. I would make use of target briefly to time the fire from the support vehicle to stop before the friendlies approach the door. Also have some other infantry teams laying down suppressive fire too since if you use target light with infantry they should not cause friendly casulties.

Thanks for the very helpful comments.

Yes I think it's my memory that's failing me.  As to the Marders, they did about as well as could be expected.  No problem with their main guns vs BMPs but vs tanks, not surprisingly, it was mostly just hits, but no Milans fired.  Plan to try a couple more Marder vs MBT only see if I can coax any Milan fire.  Just have to be careful with placing so they don't get taken out by the MBT main guns.  Will likely try 4 Marders spread out vs one tank and see if Milans get fired.  With my luck a Marder will score a lucky hit with the main gun and kill the MBT before the main guns fires.

I'll try target briefly for AFV support of infantry coupled with infantry / MG suppression. See how that pans out :)