New Hardware for CM STAT!!!

The demo ran great, but those are small to medium sized egagement. On the huge ones, my video card started steaming, and my CPU was working overtime, and then more OT. Had to upgrade.

I ordered a PIII450 (Can't afford better and the PII266 is showing it's age), and bought a TNT2 for $79. The video card didn't make that much of a difference compared to my Banshee. On the HUGE levels, there is just SO much going on it still scrolled choppy. The TNT2 does make the smoke look correct, a big improvement over the VoodooIIs smoke. It scrolls a bit better but even with 32 megs, my CM crashes with the Madmatt mod. Oh well. On those BIG senarios, it is overwhelming my poor machine.

At least the 4 minutes to proccess a turn on some of the huge levels will decrease with the new CPU. I'll also see where the CPUs breaking point is. If I'm lucky I got a 500MHZ chip in reality.

I'm hoping the PIII450 will help the Video Card max it's performance a bit. At least that is my hope.

Phandaal

I feel your pain. smile.gif

I share a Pentium 450mhz with the rest of my family. The CM demo runs fine, but I dream of my own monster gaming rig of 800mhz and above.

My dream will come true very soon as my Dad is buying me my own computer as a high school graduation present. Not only that, but I will be attending my first year at College in the fall, and I just turned 16 years of age, so the family is very proud of my achievements.

I asked for a 1 GHZ system but I don't think that's going to happen. Most likely a 800mhz or so, but I'm certainly not going to complain.

Dont forget RAM. You may already have enough but I upgraded from 64meg to 128meg and it made a huge difference on my machine. Faster turns and smoother scrolling in combo with the tnt2 32meg. smile.gif

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."

Anything over 256 meg ram is a waste for gaming. smile.gif Needless to say,

you shouldn't have any other programs running in the background while

gaming. It hurts performance and tends to increase the chance of crashes

and such.

Guest Heinz 25th PzReg

Pretty soon the prices for faster CPU`s will start to come down. The new AMD Duron and Thunderbird chips will bring the prices down. I am sure we will see 1gz+ in most machines within 6 months.

This means that BTS can start thinking of bigger scenarios and operations for CM2+

I am sure the future for CM and its followers will become even more interesting in the future.

Regards,

Heinz

------------------

"To subdue your enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence." - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Yes, the new AMD Athlons with full speed L2 cache are the fastest CPU's

available. I'm going to be getting one within the next few months. smile.gif

This sort of speed, along with a very fast video card, will make CM

and CM2 run extremely smoothly. Even during large battles. I can't wait

to see how good the game looks running on the new hardware. smile.gif

I am getting the 533a celron. Then I will have an 800mhz computer! I will really have a good gaming computer.

Right now, I have a 300a clocked to 450 and a TNT2 ultra. Seems to work great on the demo but there is always room for more speed.

[This message has been edited by Jeer (edited 06-25-2000).]