Tiger against Sherman

Manito

I recreated the Will Fey scenario. 16 Shermans against one Tiger. Well, I thought the Tiger would do much better than take out two measly Shermans. After taking about 6 or 7 shots, I was knocked out by a Sherman that was 480m away (I got hit in the front).

Is this accurate? Historically I thought the Tiger could only be taken out by being very close (60m) and shot from behind, side.

It is extremely rare, but possible. The Tiger's front does have a few places where an AP round can penetrate, such as vision slits or the hull mounted MG mount. That said, CMBO is the least accurate of the 3 games with regards to penetrations and kills. In CMBO I've killed Tigers with Stuarts and Greyhounds.

It also depends on other things such as armour strength. Alot of late German tanks were poorly constructed, this isn't suprising considering the extent of slave labour usage the Germans had to rely on. A Stuart and Greyhound shouldn't be able to knockout the frontal armour of a Tiger but hitting the side armour is different.

I would like to add two things also;

1) Cant remember excatly what type of shot or what type of weapon it was but the Tiger in the tank musuem in Bovingdon UK was captured because a shot managed to 'weld' the turret to the superstructure, at the 'shot trap' - Apperently, the crew, because they couldn't rotate the turret, surrendered! Hope I have remebered this correctly?

2) I never by Tigers in CMBO as they are not worth it. I always but 'Hetzers' as they have the same punch and are only 1/3 of the points. And more importantly seem to have the same type of chance head to head, as a Tiger. I suppose the major difference to Tiger in CMBO would be the crew? I haven't tested this but would imagine an 'elite' crew could fire the first shoot a lot quicker and also reload?

Only my thoughts. smile.gif

Originally posted by Neil aka Major Tum:

I would like to add two things also;

1) Cant remember excatly what type of shot or what type of weapon it was but the Tiger in the tank musuem in Bovingdon UK was captured because a shot managed to 'weld' the turret to the superstructure, at the 'shot trap' - Apperently, the crew, because they couldn't rotate the turret, surrendered! Hope I have remebered this correctly?

2) I never by Tigers in CMBO as they are not worth it. I always but 'Hetzers' as they have the same punch and are only 1/3 of the points. And more importantly seem to have the same type of chance head to head, as a Tiger. I suppose the major difference to Tiger in CMBO would be the crew? I haven't tested this but would imagine an 'elite' crew could fire the first shoot a lot quicker and also reload?

Only my thoughts. smile.gif

I don't agree about the Tiger because of its ability to brush off most tanks from long range but the Hetzer you need to be good at ambush. The tiger maybe slow and lumbering but its armour is prove against alot. One battle I had a mixture of Panzer 3 and 4's but lost all but one then received two tigers and knocked out 8 Shermans and two M10s. The Allies respected the Tiger, it was only air power and lack of numbers that made the Tigers impact minimal.

in reality of course.

In cmbo it seems all german equipment is bad. im playing a game currently my marder decided to just sit still for 30 seconds and not fire. it got killed. 4 of my puma's decided to use the same tactic! so they all got killed too.

Needless to say i remembered why i never play cmbo anymore(its not very good!)

well y'know there might have been flaws in the actual steel that was used to make German tanks at the time. it also depends as to what type of tiger you are using (Tiger II? Tiger I)...there's a bit of non-sloped surfaces on the Tiger I. Also a single tiger I doubt would hang out in front of 16 shermans at 500m in real life...under the hail of fire there's something bound to go wrong (gun damage, other damage, getting shaken inside etc.)...It might be alot different at 1000m or something like that. I assume ideally as the Tiger you'd want to take out the shermans in small groups - I can't imagine being the Tiger crew trying to get off well aimed shots while 16 or so Sherman AP rounds are hitting you several times a minute.